Crew Transmogrification

I heerby call for the transmogrification of all INFANTRY crews that have run out of ammo into half squads. Zookers, MGs, mortars are transformed into half squad types (with casualties to reflect size) so as to use small arms. Since the game does not model battlefield supply, I see this as the only way.

Lewis has spoken..

beg pardon? you want to cut in half the size of the inf squad? now come on that's silly - people don't die instantly just because they run out of ammunition (directly-eventually it might inded prove a reason for the early demise of a squad).

I think the current way of having them fire only sporadically when they ran out of ammo is ok. It's as good as it can get with all the FP and squad abstraction. Once we get the full cc-like representation of every man and his weapon incl. ammo as promised by BTS for CM2 *G* then this won't be an issue anymore...

Hofbauer has written..

smile.gif

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)

The only way? What's wrong with simply having an out-of-ammo team fall back on pistols, instead of transforming into something different, which would be highly confusing to say the least? Both would require extra programming, neither are likely to be included in CM, but I think a lot of people are expecting to see the former in CM2.

David

------------------

There's a splinter in your eye, and it reads REACT

I think he meant convert weapons crews to half sqads after their main weapon is out of ammo - MGs, mortars, etc. - not convert infantry squads into half squads.

Sounds like a reasonable idea to me.

------------------

No me llamo Samuel, me llamo Pedro!

Oh yeah... then everyone can justify using thoses "half squads" as scouts. I can just see the hoopla coming out of that change.

And he did mean all infanty squads, not just the weapon crews.

I don't see how this is any more realistic. I definatly like the way it's modeled now, as far as regular infanrty is concerned with the "low ammo" status. What is broken with that were we need to change it???

Mikeydz, how can you say he meant all squads and not just crews? Can you read minds?

Just going on the fact that he wrote "I hereby call for the transmogrification of all INFANTRY **crews** that have run out of ammo into half squads," (minus the asterisks I placed for highlighting purposes of course) if he writes what he means, he meant, well... crews.

Ataru ^_^

Guest Mirage2k

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>And he did mean all infanty squads, not just the weapon crews.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Well, I don't mean to speak for Lewis, but you're wrong...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by :USERNAME::

I heerby call for the transmogrification of all INFANTRY crews...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

(emphasis added)

It's an interesting idea. I'm not sure what sidearms weapons crews were issued, but would a half-squad be too powerful?

-Andrew

------------------

VOTE BLAH FOR PRESIDENT!

Throw me a frickin' smiley, people!

Your one-stop-shop for gaming news is www.SiegersPost.com ! Hit it!

BLAH IN 2000!

No, he meant INFANTRY CREWS, squads AREN'T CREWS. Everly LMG, HMG, Mortor, etc. that runs out of ammo should revert into Infantry of some sort instead of being just totally out of ammo. However, this would only prove to be realistic if the situation is drastic. Possibly there should be a choice to do this, like to split squads? If you do this, however, there should be a loss penalty, like as if the entire unit was destroyed or something, to simulate the loss of the weapon.

For example, if a mortor team runs out of ammo and has 6 guys in it, you should be allowed to spike the mortor and sent the rest of the crew off like and infantry squad of 6 guys. Sure, they wouldn't have the best weapons (definitely no LMG's, and possibly no SMG's). HOWEVER, chosing this option should result in points being calculated as if the Mortor itself was destroyed, even though it was just abandoned.

In an episode of Weapons at War or The History of the Gun on The History Channel, it was explained that the carbine was developed as a weapon to be carried by rear echelon troops and weapons crews. I presume that MG, gun, and mortar crews carried either carbines or garands as well as side arms.

This must have been mentioned before, but what is the likelihood that any unit, whether a squad or crew served weapon, would run out of ammo in a period of 30 minutes or so? I'm just asking, not saying they wouldn't.

------------------

No me llamo Samuel, me llamo Pedro!

Pvt. Ryan,

many moons ago there was a thread about all this. It might prove interesting to this thread here, because it covers this same topic here in great detail, I had back then started that thread because I felt similarly about crews needing weapons etc., and that thread has several very comprehensive and interesting posts by BTS on the subject, why the crews are modeled the way it is now:

http://www.battlefront.com/discuss/Forum1/HTML/001223.html

------------------

"Please fix!!! or do somefink" (CPT S.)