60mm Mortar

What is the best use of a 60mm Mortar for in a meeting engagement or assult scenario? I can't figure out how to use them well. The best way I see it's use in an assult is to provide suppression fire for the first wave of assult troops. However, once the assult wave move close to the enemy main line of resistance, MTR have not much use any more. Due to the limited time in most of the scenario, there are usually not enough time for repositioning these MTR for later attack. In an meeting engagement situation, I can't even find any use of this MTR due to their very slow speed. Also, they got only very limited ammo i suppose , usually of 35 rounds.

I think there might be something I have missed, do anyone got a good way in using this weapons? Thks.

LaiKay

Other than smoke, you seem to already be using them OK - suppressing the enemy troops. I worry more about initial positioning rather than re-positioning since they will run out of ammo in 2-3 turns with a good crew anyway.

If you have to move them to get to their initial firing positions, load them up on tanks/trucks/HTs. If those aren't available, have your infantry hang back so the MTRs keep pace. In most scenarios (and nearly all QBs I've played), there is more than ample time to get them in position before attacking.

------------------

"Belly to belly and everything's better" - Russian proverb wink.gif

[This message has been edited by IntelWeenie (edited 08-23-2000).]

A MG might fire five or six times in a turn. A mortar can fire 10-15 times in a turn.

I find them useful for a few minutes of concentrated suppression.

Best chances of getting kills are versus open topped vehicles, stationary guns, and troops in woods (for treebursts)

Don't forget that these little guys can also fire indirect.

Jason