Highly Unusual King Tiger Sighting

While channel surfing earlier today I came across, of all things, an Entertainment Tonight special on "The Dukes of Hazard: The Untold Story." What stopped me dead in my tracks was the clip of the Dukes' car "The General" being jumped over, so help me, a King Tiger. I am in deadly earnest here; this is no joke.

Halfway not believing my eyes, I gamely hung in, hoping that the teaser shot would be repeated later on. It was, but only partially, breaking away almost instantly.

I'm not saying it WAS a King Tiger, but it sure looked like one to me, complete with steeply sloped glacis, long, low turret, and a very long gun equipped with a typical German muzzle brake.

Did anyone other than myself see this program and catch the shot? Did any of you tape the show? I am intensely curious as to what I actually saw, especially since I have NEVER heard of a King Tiger, faux or otherwise, EVER

appearing in any movie or TV program. Would LOVE to know more!

Regards,

John Kettler

This must have been one of famous "good ole" King Tigers. These featured a special modification to the KT. All the hatches were welded shut but they cut a rectangular panel out of the turret side armor (i.e., the good 'ole") so the crew could jump in for quick getaway. First after action reports were disappointing smile.gif

Hey, I was traumatized by turning on the TV in Italy: "The Jeffersons" dubbed into Italian. Another channel featured the exciting game show Il Prezzo E Giusto. Yes, that's correct. The Price Is Right...

Seriously though, Durutti is surely correct. What you saw was probably an M47, the "King Tiger" in the film Battle of the Bulge. The only M47 pictures on the Web I could find was this knocked out Somali example: m47-2.jpg

[This message has been edited by Richard III (edited 04-02-2000).]

Serious reply: I don't know anthing about the Dukes of Hazzard connection, but your post reminded me of something I saw years ago. A King Tiger was seen during an episode of the Fall Guy (stop laughing, people), but as it never appeared right next to people, I'm fairly certain that it was a good RC model. Obviously this couldn't be the case in your example, but I thought I'd add my two cents. Oh, and admit to everyone that I'm A Fall Guy junkie.

- GAFF

Guest Big Time Software

Well, there are only one, or possibly two, King Tigers in the US. One is at the Patton Museum, and the other (if it exists) might be at Aberdeen (I don't remember it being there). So I think it is safe to rule out the Dukes jumping over a KT smile.gif And nobody I know of has ever made a KT 1:1 scale replica, so the Dukes couldn't have been jumping over that either. Must have been an older US tank, probably like the M47 or something.

Steve

P.S. I caught about 5 minutes of the reunion special. They should have got a stand in for Daisy. The soft focus they used on her wasn't enough to preserve the memories of the past frown.gif

[This message has been edited by Big Time Software (edited 04-03-2000).]