A Few Questions and Comments before I Pre-order.

Guest Zigster

Guest Zigster

First off, I simply love the game engine demo. I believe this is the future of simulation wargaming. Finally we're starting to tap into the power of processors for more than bells and whistles. Kudos to the dreamers.

1) What scale can we expect most scenarios in the final version to be? "Up to battalion level" is a little vague. All the demos are roughly company sized actions.

2) Thanks, Cool (and anyone else involved), for the tweaks. Very nice. I didn't bother with the flags tweak since I just turn them off and pretend they're not there anyway.

3) Just my humble opinion, but airpower really has little or no contribution to this sort of scale beyond interest value. I hope it's not over-represented in the final game. Having it available for custom scenarios is, of course, a good thing and I applaud its inclusion.

4) Is there, or will there be, a function for recrewing/capturing support weapons? Haven't seen anything so far.

5) I hope down the road someone considers a game-to-date movie replay feature, allowing one to view the entire battle thus far. Apart from any personal interest, I believe it would greatly aid PBEM play, particularly if one's opponents are dead-ass slow in responding (NUDGE). I keep forgetting what my plan was rolleyes.gif

6) My 2% for the poll: Despite my handle, I prefer playing the Allies.

Thanks all, and see you in Valhalla.

------------------

Der Zig

I'll take a stab at your questions eventhough the previous poster (whose name I can't pronounce) si correct that most have been answered already.

1. There is very little stopping you from putting huge quantities of troops in a scenario. I don't think there is an actual game limit (although there might be). The real difficulty is that the AI isn't really designed to handle large amounts of troops.

The maps would be too crowded and your machine would slow to a crawl.

A reinforced battalion is the largest size that is recommended. It might contain up to 200 units per side if there were lots of vehicles.

4. No. While captured small arms were relatively easy to use, larger ones took more time. Plus, use of captured equipment in the West wasn't nearly as prevalent as it was in the East. A more extensive treatment of captured equipment might be warranted for CM2. In a sense, though, captured equipment is modelled. Russian 76.2 mm AT guns are mounted in tank destroyers and we get a French tank. But no on the fly use of enemy equipment.

5. This was something that Steve repeatedly said was on The List. As it hasn't been announced, I'm guessing it isn't in. The end result, I'm assuming, is that it just wasn't possible, for whatever reason, within the time frame allowed. This would definitely be a really neat feature.

What are you waiting for. Order the game already! smile.gif

Jason

Guest Zigster

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by guachi:

But no on the fly use of enemy equipment.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Actually, I was thinking more about reclaiming my own garbage. Gotta think eco after all :)

------------------

Der Zig

Guest Big Time Software

All the answers above are correct, so I will just answer the airpower one...

We were a bit concerned that our scenario designers would get a little overzealous with airpower and BIG TANKS, but the concern seems to be unfounded. There is judicious use of both in a small number of the total scenarios we will ship with.

One thing to note is that fighterbomber support isn't cheap and is not certain to be worth the expense. So if someone decides that a few planes would be better than lots of troops... oh boy smile.gif Not only do the miss a decent chunk of the time, but they also have a nasty little chance of zapping friendly stuff! So imagine having the bulk of your meager force knocked out by your own expensive air support biggrin.gif

Steve