US 60mm Mortar question

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

I have used this wonderful weapon to knock out most types of armoured car, halftracks and AA vehicles especially if i use a veteran or higher team. Now, my question, whenever i see the Axis heavy armour like Panthers, Tigers and K Tigers i do not bother to try and target them with the 60mm. I was wondering is it possible to get a imobilization or a gun hit or would i be wasting my time and ammo to target these beasts. At best i would hope to maybe button the tank or to even kill the T Commander...but in your experiences can any additional damage be done against these Heavy Tanks using the US 60mm Mortar ? If so it would be worthwhile to target them or area target around them.

BTW The question is related to CM guys not real battles.

Thanks in advance.....and hey i did do a search on it this time but no answers to this particular question smile.gif

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Not sure about Tigers (or Panthers), but it seems to be the case that 60mm mortars will brew up MkIv's real fast with top hits. I do not know if the thread has scrolled or not, but some time was given to this issue over on CG Online when I first bought the game, with reference to this board.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by chrisl:

I use them on anything. They can cause the tank to button, and a permanently buttoned tank is much easier to kill.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what he said. And who knows, it might get lucky and kill a tank.

Having said that, if there are better targets out there (e.g., a MG nest or two, or a FO), I'll target them preferentially over a tank. The reason being is that a 60 mm mortar has, at most, 2 60 sec turns worth of ammo. I do not want to waste most of my rounds just to button up a tank and pray that I get a kill. I'd rather try to kill a MG nest or FO in one turn and try to save my last 5-8 rounds to button a tank up and pray for a kill on the next turn (or sometime thereafter).

------------------

Jeff Abbott

Another dead horse beat:

Many suspect that motars (all sides) in 1.05 are too accurate against AFVs. Check some previous threads on this. My xp: In one QB against human, I killed 2 M18s, each within 1 min after targeted -- and I target the AFVs indirectly using HQ!

Back to topic: I have got my Hezters killed by area-fire motars and I vaguely remeber some did get PzIVs. I am not sure about the heavies.

Griffin.

------------------

"+" is just the beginning. Expect to see "GriffinCheng76", "GriffinCheng(105)" or "GriffinChengA3E8" more should Forum problems occur again :(

For me, it all depends on the situation. I have found massed 60MM mortar fire can serve two very important roles against enemy AFVs of any level of armor, particularly when those vehicles are stationary: button 'em up (as mentioned by others) and immobilize them. Top hits may have less effect on the heavies (particularly the Tiger), but any tank can get its treads chewed up by mortar fire. A buttoned, immobile tank is as good as dead in many or most combat environs.

If the enemy is doing a good job of keeping the armor moving, I usually will not waste my ammo on them.

I did a quick test:

I purchased 12 elite 60mm mortars and placed them in scattered trees with LoS to a hill.

I then placed 2 K Tigers, 2 PantherG and 2 Tigers on the hill in open space all bunched up together. I Unbuttoned all tanks and kept them stationary.

I direct targetted the tanks and on turn one all the Mortars fired smoke...Hhhmmm, i should have anticipatated that. Ok, so after waiting for the smoke to clear they then started firing until all ammo was expended. After each turn i unbuttoned the commanders.

End Result after all mortar rounds were fired:

Numerous top hits were scored but without causing any serious damage to the tanks or their commanders

No tank commanders were killed or wounded.

1 Panther G immobilized

1 King Tiger Immobilized

No gun hits or gun damage.

1 Tank commander fatally contracted lung cancer from the smoke smile.gif

So there you have it - there is a remote possibility that you can immobilize a heavy tank - but that was with 12 x 60mm Elite mortar crews, in a QB you would expect to have maybe 4 or 5 units at your disposal so i guess you have got to be quite lucky to do any damage.....my conclusion...is to save your ammo for other targets.

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

I would be interested in seeing "penetration" data on mortars and off board arty. It seems that most crews do a good job of targeting units they know they can KO (and if not throw smoke). But I'd like to know what can and can't be damaged or KO'ed.

------------------

"The art of fighting without fighting..."

Guest Germanboy

Not the 60mm, but the UK 3" mortar (and I would suspect the US 81mm) can kill Panthers, but not Tigers through top hits. Seen that a few times. Churchills seem impervious to 81mm top hits, from what I have seen.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a >

Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 11-23-2000).]