Halftrack mounted guns

I've noticed that when I dismount my troops from the halftracks, the mounted gun on the halftrack is left unmanned. Is this normal? I would think that the gunner would be left in the vehicle along with the drivers to act as fire support for the dismounted troops. On one halftrack, I dismounted the troops, split the teams and put one of the teams back into the halftrack and the gun was then manned. On another halftrack I tried the same thing, but did not have the option to split the troops. I'm a bit confused about this process. But again, by default I would think that the mounted gun would stay manned by the gunner when the passenger troops are dismounted. This was experienced while playing CM:FB. Thank you in advance for your help.

Some units had a dedicated gunner in the HT. Some did not. Splitting off a scout team is a good way to man the gun in the latter case. However some smaller squads do not have the ability to split at all so that does not work in that case.

Another way to go is to dismount the driver of one and have him man the gun of another.

Be careful the enemy considers them a serious threat and that gun shield is no good from the sides, obviously, so keep them back as far as possible.

1 hour ago, IanL said:

Be careful the enemy considers them a serious threat and that gun shield is no good from the sides, obviously, so keep them back as far as possible.

@captiva  this is good advise.  After you get the halftrack gunner issue sorted out and understood your next challenge will probably be the gunner becoming KIA.   There are several threads discussing this challenge.    

At least when playing quick battles I sometimes delete such vehicles that are provided with the formation, and replace them with the same vehicle but from the single vehicles category. Because those are provided with their own gunner, enabling the vehicle to continue to be fought and provide the section that have departed them with support. Downside being that they are more expensive, and also some vehicles provided with the formation are given additional equipment so its important to know which ones lest you swap them out and loose that equipment.

Using the Carrier Platoon in the Infantry Battalion [Lorried], tend to delete and replace 2 Bren and 3 Bren in their sections. I leave 1 Bren as that provides them with an PIAT and radio. 2 Bren would also be providing the sections with an mortar but as acquiring that's broken at the moment does not matter.

Same thing for the Scout Troops in the Recce Regiment. For their Assault Troops tend to delete and replace 2 Halftrack, 3 Halftrack, 4 Halftrack and 5 Halftrack. And again I leave 1 Halftrack as that provides  them an PIAT.