Battle damage pics

Guest John Pender

Guest John Pender

Any recomendations for books that have pics of battle damaged WWII AFV's?

Fionn: where did you find the pics of the 251/1's that were destroyed by artillery?

Take care

John

[This message has been edited by John Pender (edited 01-31-2000).]

I have an old Signal book titled "Soviet Panzers", which is mainly German pics of knocked out Sov tankts from the early days of the war.

It includes such gems as a T-28 with the left front mg turret removed with extrmem prejudice, the gunner protruding in a fairly horrible pose, burned black and with his right arm missing.

Or a well dressed young woman posing n the barrel of a KV-2 which has a 20mm hole punched through it.

Plus of course there's any number of BT's and T-26's with gaping holes in their armour

Mike

I've got some photos of a JgPanther with some 75 or 77mm holes punched in the side. It's in the Imperial War Museum. I can scan these if you want them.

Also got some dead Iraqi vehicles on my webpage if you want to the effects of modern DPICM shells. See my profile for the URL.

-Bullethead

Guest John Pender

Bullethead,

Nice site, your pics had me feeling bad for the Iraqi troops.

If you wouldnt mind I would like to see that

pic of the JgPanther.

Take care

John

ps: Thanks for going when you were called. Not much of a war but Im sure you werent sure what to expect at first.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Nice site, your pics had me feeling bad for the Iraqi troops.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I doubt most of them felt any pain...

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>If you wouldnt mind I would like to see that pic of the JgPanther.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, I'll dig them up. Might be a day or so.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>ps: Thanks for going when you were called. Not much of a war but Im sure you werent sure what to expect at first.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

No problem--that was my job. But I do disagree with it "not being much of a war." I got there Christmas Day 1990 and left 15 APR 91, and got shot at every single day, including the 3 weeks before the war "started" and the 6 weeks after the war was "over." The only reason I have pictures of dead Iraqis and not the other way around is because our gear gave us about 10 seconds faster turnaround time on our counterbattery fire than they had on theirs. It was a consistent advantage, but there was NO margin for error, and they were sure trying hard on their end. They got a piece of me and all of a few friends of mine despite all this.

-Bullethead

[This message has been edited by Bullethead (edited 01-23-2000).]

Is that Jagd Panther the one that used to be at IWM Duxford? I think I've got some photo's of that too. I'll see if I can find them & post them to you.

That photo of a T-28 is also reporduced at http://www.history.enjoy.ru/index.html.

Go to the "Soviet AFV's" page, then to the T-28 medium tank. The photo is about 60% of hte way down the T-28 page, in "T-28's in action". Grissly frown.gif

Mike

The most completely destroyed heavy tank that I've seen a picture of was a KV-II that was destroyed at Ala-Kurtti in 1941. (AFAIK it was the only KV-II that was used against Finns in that war).

The KV-II held up Finnish and German advance for a day. The only available AT guns were 37 mm and they could not even scratch the beast. IIRC, it even run over an AT mine without damage. In a cover of night a Finnish engineer squad went forth to destroy it. As they wanted to be sure that it would be destroyed, they placed _6_ AT mines under it. That's some 60 kg of explosives. When the mines were detonated the explosion blew up the remaining ammo of KV-II. Next day when a Finn took a photo on the wreck only thing that could be identified was the 152mm gun barrel and an 1 square meter sized piece of turret roof.

I have the picture in one book and I would scan and post it but I don't know who (if anybody) holds the copyrights of the photo.

- Tommi

Guest Zigster

There is a picture in Jentz's Panzer Truppen, Volume 1 I think, which shows a Pz IV which was destroyed after being bogged in a field. The caption doesn't say what destroyed it, but I can't help wondering if it wasn't a short shell from Karl smile.gif

There's nothin but a field full of bogies that's recognizable and they're spread a hundred yards in each direction. eek.gif

Lots of other good damage pics in that book too. One of my faves is the Pz II with the turret side blown off, and the Pz III that looks like someone was using it for target practice with a 37mm

Guest Zigster

Page 95: Slightly damaged Pz IV

Page 99: Pz IV with multiple turret penetrations

Page 114: Pz IV(?) Blown to hell and back

Page 124: Pz I with driver's plate shattered

Page 126: Pz III with heavy left side damage to running gear.

Page 139: Pz III with MULTIPLE turret and front hull penetrations

Page 140: Pz II with turret side blown out and gun mantle stove in.

Page 141: Vehicles lined up awaiting repair.

Page 162: Pz IV with turret blown off

Page 173: Pz IV knocked out

Page 209: Pz II detracked by mine.

Have a cool book here Blitzkrieg: Armour Camoflage and Markings, 1939-1940.

It has many color drawings of just about every tank used in those first two years of war by the French, Belgian, Dutch, Polish, German, English, Italian, and Russian.

There are some neat pictures of just about every tank, many of them are abandoned, spiked or destroyed. (even some pictures of destroyed German equipment with French troops inspecting it!)