PBEM files - technical question - I need Help!

Hello all,

I post this here instead of the Tech board since I think this board is more frequently visited.

My problem is with getting the PBEM files from my email to my computer. I know this sounds stupid but this is what I have to go through. I have tried multiple other ways but cannot find a way to just have the files attached just saved to my hard drive.

When I get a PBEM file, I can either see all the code in the email or there will be an attachment. I use Microsoft Hotmail and IE4.0

If there is an attachment and I click on it, it opens another IE window with all the code in it.

Now for me to get that into the HD, I have to copy and paste into Word, then highlight the whole thing and reformat the font size from 10 to 8.

Then I have to copy it to Wordpad and then save it as a txt file.

This is a s***load of work to do just to copy a file over.

Yet still find the patience to carry 6 games at a time. --- its a damm good game!!!!!

I have tried everything I could think of to get the IE to save the file to disk instead of showing it on the screen. I remember there used to be way to tell the explorer what to do a default with all files, but I can't find that anywhere.

Any Ideas or suggestions ???

i need serious help?? - In more that one way, but right now, this will do.

Thanks all

Guest Germanboy

Oki - if it is full text in the email body, go to 'edit'-'save as' and save it to the whole message to the HD. That usually works. If it is an attachment, rightclick it once (if on a PC, hold down the mouse button on a Mac) and wait till the menu opens. Click 'download attachment' or save 'attachment to disk' whatever it says, and save in your PBEM folder. Hope that helps.

------------------

Andreas

<a href="http://www.geocities.com/greg_mudry/sturm.html">Der Kessel</a > Home of „Die Sturmgruppe“; Scenario Design Group for Combat Mission.

[This message has been edited by Germanboy (edited 10-24-2000).]

Guest Captitalistdoginchina

Guys,

As a frequent user of Hotmail (Capitalistdoginchina@hotmail.com) and a frequent opponnent of hotmail users i can recommend that you send ALL your pbem files zipped. Hotmail can be a little unreliable with these little text files and often i found that the file would not open in CM. So, now i always zip the files for sending and receiving whenever using hotmail.

The zipped files are much more reliable, smaller and faster to send/receive.

Best wishes,

CDIC

------------------

"Death solves all problems - no man no problem"

J.V.Stalin, 1918

Hi

Quite often hotmail would say that there was a virus ,if you kept trying to view on the 3rd or 4th attempt it would give a no virus.Has this been fixed/ cause for about the last 10 days this virus problem has been non existant<touch wood> on my comp anyway.

---------------------------------------------

Regards Gramps