Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Variable time Setings for one Turn...

PeterT

Hello, I didn´t find another Tread like this, so I opened my own one.

I often have the problem that, when I play realtime,I can react very fast to new situations, but I can´t notice everything what happens especially in bigger scenarios. On the other side, when I play with Turn sequence, I lose control for 60 Seconds, and that is in my point of view a little bit to long for the modern conflict in Black Sea. I think it would be great to chose the turn length from, for example, 15, 30, 45 or the standart 60 seconds, because this would give us more control for new Situations...

I too often saw my Soldiers shot down one by one by a hidden HMG because they still running to the object instead of immediatly hitting the dirt and returning fire....

Regards,

Peter

Yes, that has been asked for before. Would you want to vary the time during a game or choose it once at the beginning?

In the past there have been a few people who like the idea but not really a large number and a few don't like it much. Myself included. I feel that varying that aspect of the game would cause some confusion and make long PBEM games go even longer. Plus I actually like that after issuing orders I can only watch. I think it is part of the feel of the game. All commanders at some point have to just watch as their troops execute the plan.

It works in all kind of situations that involve accurate HE fire as far as I can tell. They are surprisingly good at staying alive! Twice now, under situations where I would have had em stay put in their house, under artillery, they booked it for a more sturdy building, and made it there just as the old one collapsed!  another couple times my guys came under auto cannon fire and saved themselves.  And with the new spacing they are more resilient on the move.  So id say they have a good amount better chance to survive the turn than before v4

Tbh,  I'd go for longer times. 

It's essentially what I do at the start of RT games,  as there are so many units to move immediately. I played one battle where I sent two platoons on a leapfrog assault into a town. Took a solid 30 mins to plan but when we rolled I could focus on the other flank (which was going bananas)  and glance over at my little attack unfolding by itself over 15mins. 

My opportunity said he found it difficult to counter as they 'just kept coming'. Sometimes it's good to keep your fussy fingers away from the command buttons. 

Edited by kinophile

Variable turn times based on faction characteristic and EW would be great for the CMBS. Good example is the Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm. I really like WEGO system in that game. But not sure whether the CMx2 series would be able to introduce this idea in current game system or not. 

Edited by exsonic01

23 minutes ago, exsonic01 said:

Variable turn times based on faction characteristic and EW would be great. Good example is the Flashpoint Campaign Red Storm. I really like WEGO system in this game. 

+1 to Red Storm - it's asynchronous WEGO system is a pretty cool feature.  For more explanation to others: as your units lose runners, especially command units, it disrupts your ability to command, which extends the time between when you can give orders.  If your HQs get taken out by good artillery strikes your command loop may go from 15 minutes to 30 minutes while your opponent keeps acting on 20 minute cycles.