Faulty Excalibur shells

Pericles

Pericles,

Appreciate your sharing this.Perhaps the investigation could be called (not shouting) BROKEN SWORD or somesuch?! In any event, it sounds as though someone's shell case manufacturing and associated QC sucks. Also, if the Wiki's to be trusted, the article overstates the per round cost by a factor of two. Is it possible the reporter cited the price for the drastically improved new Excalibur, rather than the early stuff the Canadians and US Army have in quantity? As for the missing rounds, bet someone's celebrating after that particular acquisition!

Regards,

John Kettler

Edited by John Kettler

48 minutes ago, c3k said:

X-raying the entire inventory? Perhaps they'll use airport screening machines during lull periods.

I know X-rays are a common way of inspecting welds for cracks, along with dye penetration.   As far as I know, it's sometimes used on castings, too.  It has the advantage of high throughput, so I imagine X-ray inspection is probably the fastest way to look through the entire inventory.

With that said, it does seem a little overkill to look over the entire inventory unless there was no pattern in the cracked shells to narrow it down.  Even then, perhaps before going crazy, inspect a random sampling of the various lots?  Maybe the airports are having slow days!