Which Combat Mission

Tangogulf

Hi all;

I have recently been drawn back to this company after a long hiatus.  My first and only game that I played was the original CMBO.  Fast forward to today and I downloaded a couple of demos and was once again enamored by the game play.  My question is: where is the best place to start?  I'm looking for recommendations on both game and expansions that meet my below requirements.

Here is what Im looking for:

1. Looking for WW2 genre.
  2. Would like the latest version of the game engine.  ( I believe it is currently at version 3.0)
  3. Conducive to both tank and infantry.
  4. Utilizes the latest artillery and airstrike capabilities of the software. (I have no clue what these might be)
  5. Is not the normandy campaign.  Had my fill of Bocage and the saturated green look in the trees in the original CBMO.
  6. Can include any nationalities.
  7. Perhaps encompasses a time when both allies and axis were strong ( I dont wish to deal with ammunition or material shortages in the campaign)

Thanks for any and all help.

13 hours ago, Tangogulf said:

Did some research and went with Fortress Italy. This thread is closed

Good selection for your criteria.  Truth be told, CMBN, CMFI, CMRT, and CMFB are an embarrassment of riches; picking just one is a surprisingly difficult choice.  So many games, so little time . . .  B)

Edited by Badger73

On 1. September 2016 at 2:18 AM, Tangogulf said:

Thank you for your feedback Badger. Indeed, the issue now is finding the time. There is just so much to these games. 

Since you decided for CMFI already and time is an issue, you may want to have a look at Heirllom Tomatos package of 16 tiny scenarios. You find them in the "scenario depot" at the "The few good men" website.

16 scenarios with platoon sized forces on tiny maps. Each 30minutes long, so the playing time is perhaps 45 minutes each. I played a few and found them not too difficult, but not too simple either.

They would probaly be a good starting point to get into the game.