Shadows going towards the sun

5 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Looks like the lighting/shading problem I´d already reported couple of years ago. I guess your screenshot is made from a scene in early morning (<= 9 AM), or early evening (7-9 PM)?

Yes, it's from a very early morning mission.

I think I also mentioned this problem on the forum some time ago, just came across it again after patching to the latest version and thought I would try raising the issue again.. I believe it must be very simple to fix, and it means a lot for the immersion, at least for me.

9 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Yes, it's from a very early morning mission.

I think I also mentioned this problem on the forum some time ago, just came across it again after patching to the latest version and thought I would try raising the issue again.. I believe it must be very simple to fix, and it means a lot for the immersion, at least for me.

Totally agree, but I doubt we´ll see any more responses from BFC staff (none in fact) concerning this probably negligible issue. I´ll check in 5 years again.

Clear thus far:

1. Doesn´t has anything to do with moon phases (with moon beeing a 2nd effective light source in the scene)

2. Doesn´t has anything to do with artificially bright night setting.

Likely trouble sources:

3. Either particular GFX card, driver and shader settings, or...

4. GFX engine limitation with regard to shading the backside of the ground mesh, maybe due to negative valued lighting angles or such.

A combination of 3 & 4.

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

1. Doesn´t has anything to do with moon phases (with moon beeing a 2nd effective light source in the scene)

Good that you tested this, because I was wondering if it could have something to do with the moon.

2 hours ago, RockinHarry said:

Likely trouble sources:

3. Either particular GFX card, driver and shader settings, or...

4. GFX engine limitation with regard to shading the backside of the ground mesh, maybe due to negative valued lighting angles or such.

A combination of 3 & 4.

You mean not everybody has this issue? I think everybody has it, but only a few are caring enough to post about it on the forums. The rest probably just subconsciously feel something is "off" but haven't realised what it is yet.

I'm pretty sure it's just a tiny wrong entry in the code that flips the shading compared to the sun. There's some little value in there that should have a minus put in front of it.

19 hours ago, Bulletpoint said:

Good that you tested this, because I was wondering if it could have something to do with the moon.

You mean not everybody has this issue? I think everybody has it, but only a few are caring enough to post about it on the forums. The rest probably just subconsciously feel something is "off" but haven't realised what it is yet.

I'm pretty sure it's just a tiny wrong entry in the code that flips the shading compared to the sun. There's some little value in there that should have a minus put in front of it.

I once found some internet source with moon phase data covering the period and compared. CM simulates these accurately, so I could exclude that the additional moon light source does that additional lighting effect.

From past community feedback I think at least 1-2 dozen members have noticed the odd lighting, but maybe there´s not that many scenarios out there that have the mission start between 6-8 AM or 7-9 PM, can´t tell.

I´m not a programmer, so I´d never say there is something that can be fixed easily. It could also be that the ambient lighting multiplies with the sun light source at mentioned day times and the ground mesh illuminated both from top- and backside at shallow angels. Maybe something similar to the rubbled version of independent houses, which have their single plane walls look unnaturally bright most the time (related to "normals" setting of 3D geometry). Unless somebody from the BFC programmers step in here, this all remains speculation unfortunately.

4 minutes ago, RockinHarry said:

I once found some internet source with moon phase data covering the period and compared. CM simulates these accurately

Simulate historically accurate moonlight for any given date in the last hundred years, check...

Make sure that light and shadow appear on opposite sides of stuff... nah, why bother :)