I Can See Cleary Now That The Buildings Are Translucent! SAturday Update On CMHQ..

Guest Madmatt

Guest Madmatt

Pretty much says it all doesn't it?!? Get on over to CMHQ and enhale the freshness of a Saturday afternoon update.

Translucent Occupied Buildings is

the newest New Feature and we have plenty of screenshots to boot!

Also a new PBEM Movie File showing the exploits of a Chance Encounter StuG crew compliments of William Thiel. You can find the file in the After Action Section which also hosts the Stand Alone Movies currently.

The Air Attack feature will resume in a few days! cool.gif

Madmatt out.. eek.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

[This message has been edited by Madmatt (edited 01-08-2000).]

Wow, this looks great.

Kudos again to Steve and Charles for going the extra mile.

I have one nit to pick, however. I hate to be the grammar police but I don't think "Translucent" is the word you want here. I think a better descriptor is "Transparent Occupied Buildings." "Translucent" merely means that the material allows some amount of light to pass through it, i.e., it's not completely opaque. A stained glass window might be translucent, but you're not going to see anything on the other side of it. This would still clearly differentiate the new feature from the old way, which had invisible walls.

I wouldn't mention this at all but it seems as if "Translucent Occupied Buildings" might actually be the text used in the game (with shift-y as the toggle) and not just the descriptor used here and at CMHQ.

Ok, grammar police mode off.

Again, it's a great new feature....

Vetch

Excellent Job BTS !!! , I was hoping to see this done but I didnt think it was a major dilemma. This is a drastic visual improvement though IMHO, despite the fact it doesn't effect overall gameplay. I am very pleased you squeezed in this one with out any inherent prompting smile.gif

thanks again guys

- great work

------------------

SS_PanzerLeader....out

Guest John Pender

Thank you, thank you, I thought you guys would never come to your senses in regards to the vanishing walls. The new translucent feature greatly enhances the look of the game. Great work

Take care

John

Guest Madmatt

Just a comment in reagrds to use of translucent as opposed to transparent. Well, they aren't transparent, when you are inside a building with a unit YOU CAN NOT SEE OUT THROUGH THE WALLS, I tried to show this with the 'split screen' schreck unit. The walls are translucent as they only allow about 30% or so of the light to pass through which gives the units inside that ghostly appearance. If the they were transparent we wouldn't see the walls at all.

Madmatt out cool.gif

------------------

If it's in Combat Mission, it's on Combat Mission HQ!

combathq.thegamers.net

Madmatt wrote:

Just a comment in reagrds to use of translucent as opposed to transparent. Well, they aren't transparent, when you are inside a building with a unit YOU CAN NOT SEE OUT THROUGH THE WALLS, I tried to show this with the 'split screen' schreck unit. The walls are translucent as they only allow about 30% or so of the light to pass through which gives the units inside that ghostly appearance. If the they were transparent we wouldn't see the walls at all.

-------------

With respect, I still disagree. If the walls were "invisible," you wouldn't see them at all--which is what we have in the beta. When the walls are "transparent" (or semi-transparent if you want to be really abstruse) then you should see the wall and what's on the other side of it--though they both might look a little ghostly. This is what we have in the new feature.

If the wall was really "translucent" as you suggest, you would only see shadows of what's on the other side.

If you want to emphasize the point that you only see through the walls in one direction, then "semi-transparent" is the beast you're after.

I'm the first to admit that this is a minor point but as long as they're getting everything else right, why not have an accurate description?

Vetch