Anyone got the "Atlas of the Eastern Front 1941-45"

Looking around for a good east-front book to buy and I stumbled across Atlas of the Eastern Front 1941-45 which came out in January 2016 apparently. It sounds form the description and amazon reviews like it is right up my alley. Has anyone here got / looked through a copy and have any opinions pro or anti?

For that matter, does anyone know of any good books containing more tactical level maps for the eastern front? This books sounds like it rarely goes below the divisional level, but since most books usually have small, low quality maps where you are sometimes lucky to even be able to locate divisions on them, it sounds like a vast improvement in quality. But I'd still like to find some decent maps at regimental / battalion level from time to time.

Most of what I have found and used at that level was from a Google search and then clicking images. A bound collection at the battalion level might exist - perhaps published in Europe. You might have to select a specific "famous" battle. Finding maps useful for RT is a hobby all by itself. We did OK with the Stalingrad mod, but that's as famous as it gets. 

Kevin

Yeah, good detailed maps are getting harder and harder to find, even for the Western Front, never mind the East. For instance, the US Army Historical Division put out some short books on specific operations, such as the D-Day landings that showed such fine detail as individual MG nests and rifle pits. About 25 or so years ago I was able to find copies of a couple of those in my local library and study them. When CMBO was being researched I requested those books again so that I might contribute the information and scans of the maps to the process. What I discovered was that the library had in the meantime discarded their priceless copies, but I could still obtain them via inter-library loan. This I did, but when the requested copies arrived, someone had cut all the maps out of them! Life can be hard.

:wacko::(:angry:

Michael

5 hours ago, jtsjc1 said:

http://www.history.army.mil/html/books/100/100-11/index.html  Michael this may be what you're looking for. It has the maps of the German emplacements etc and comes with an envelope with about 20 additional maps. I purchased it direct from CMH. You can view a pdf also but I prefer hardcopies. There's also a good one for Utah Beach.

Wow! Thanks for that. This seems to be an expanded version of the one I saw, which IIRC was a smaller publication. There was also one in my library on Salerno, and I am downloading the PDF now for comparison. Yeah, I like the hardcopies better myself, even though they aren't free, the prices appear quite reasonable. Thanks again.

Michael

While on the subject of map making ... here is a link to a global elevation tool. It's tedious but can give relative changes. I am using it to make a FB map pitting Panzer Lehr against 4th Armored late Nov. 1944. Click on the map, get the elevation for that point, and calculate the relative value in CM terms. I have been then placing that value on a Google map screen shot on the battlefield for later use in the CM editor. 

https://google-developers.appspot.com/maps/documentation/javascript/examples/full/elevation-simple