Action on Lanzerath Ridge

My 1st battle in FB. Action on Lanzerath Ridge.  Playing as the Americans.

F******* Mg 42's- I really hate that sound now :^I. Passed out like lollipops to every German it seems.

It was a 'near run thing' -no spoilers.

Oh man I wish I had a video of the lone carbine equipped GI taking out the German HQ's unit.

Pretty proud about this minor victory on IRON level.

I have to say though-I am really looking forward to see how someone will improve on the uniforms on the German side. Because the stock uniforms look EXCELLENT.

Solid game play against the AI.MV_zpskw9xzcai.jpg

IanL -thanks I didn't know that. National Guard unit  heh.

HINT from a veteran CM player (have all the module). Not a spoiler and isn't covered in training. Not obvious to first time player of CM.

You can move the fortifications. Not just troops and vehicles-but fortifications They are not permanent. If you were a commander where would you dig a foxhole(s)?

SPOILER way below

No man in my virtual pixel command sits in a jeep reading his dirty picture magazine while eating a Hershey Bar. Every swinging d**k is out there preparing positions. Including drivers.

Edited by Tempestzzzz

Good point about the drivers. I might have made a mistake there. I am not sure if I just failed to count them or forgot to get them out and on the line.

So, the US platoon certainly did everything right. They scrounged for better weapons (should have only had carbines but got all M1s and BARs plus a couple of MGs), picked a good location, got lots of ammunition, did an excellent job of scouting and dug in really well. Preparation pays off.

The inexperienced German commanders really botched it though. They continued and advance across an open field facing machine guns, twice. They failed to assess the extent of the US positions. If they had pulled back from that field and spent even half an hour scouting they would have done the right thing (the flanking assault through the woods) by 11 am that morning and hardly missed a beat. Poor preparation costs a lot.

I really liked this mission as well. Small, frustrating, intense:). But for a more historical touch I would have liked at least overcast skies. I don't really know about the ground conditions but I think mud/wet instead of snow is more correct.

Edited by Big Boss

6 hours ago, IanL said:

My research indicated that it was bright and cold with some snow on the ground.  The conditions reflect that.

Glad you liked it.

Thanks. I always thought that the weather in the morning of December 16 was anything but clear. Someting in line with this;

"Dec 16 Very low clouds and fog patches. Visabilities poor. Light rain." from Weather Effects During The Battle Of The Bulge And The Normandy Invasion 

https://archive.org/details/WeatherEffects

Or,

"The weather conditions on 16 December 1944... Overcast; cloudy; penetrating cold; snow flurries, turning to rain; poor aerial observation with no aerial activity; ground soft; roads muddy and slick"

from The Battle at St. Vith, Belgium, 17-23 December 1944: An Historical Example of Armor in the Defense: U.S. Army Armor School