Introduction and noob questions

Hi all,

So after months of watching on Youtube (Ithinkial, Johnsy et al) and playing the demos, I’ve finally bitten the bullet – like so many of my pixeltruppen – and invested in the CM:BN big bundle.

I’ll probably be looking for some PBEM opponents at some point when I’m confident that I’ll make at least a semi-challenging opponent, but I was hoping to trouble you with some noob questions in the meantime.

Are there any mods that I should be looking to get off the bat? Aris’s (sp?) work seems to be really popular.

Any tips on getting the best performance? The demos of CM:FI and CM: RT seem to run more smoothly on my laptop (Lenovo Y50, 2.5 GHz i7 4710, GTX 860M 4 GB, 16 GB RAM).

I’ve gone for download only; what’s the most convenient way of backing up my purchase?

Enough rambling, thanks for your help in advance!

1 hour ago, YailBloor said:

Hi all,

So after months of watching on Youtube (Ithinkial, Johnsy et al) and playing the demos, I’ve finally bitten the bullet – like so many of my pixeltruppen – and invested in the CM:BN big bundle.

I’ll probably be looking for some PBEM opponents at some point when I’m confident that I’ll make at least a semi-challenging opponent, but I was hoping to trouble you with some noob questions in the meantime.

Are there any mods that I should be looking to get off the bat? Aris’s (sp?) work seems to be really popular.

Any tips on getting the best performance? The demos of CM:FI and CM: RT seem to run more smoothly on my laptop (Lenovo Y50, 2.5 GHz i7 4710, GTX 860M 4 GB, 16 GB RAM).

I’ve gone for download only; what’s the most convenient way of backing up my purchase?

Enough rambling, thanks for your help in advance!

Welcome to the forum and to CMBN!

Try here for mods: http://cmmodsiii.greenasjade.net/

And here for opponents and other people who like and play CM battles: http://www.thefewgoodmen.com/thefgmforum/

And when you get to PEBM battles (you'll find many people willing to get you started, I'm sure), get GaJ's Combat Mission Helper (there is also Whose Turn Is It) to manage the file handing in and out of Drop Box to exchange the files with your opponent: https://www.dropbox.com/sh/jvh9sx2zla2k0eq/S6LZaVAw_7

15 hours ago, YailBloor said:

Sound mods do a lot for immersion IMO (check out waclaw or oddball, you can also mix them to your liking). Id recommend everything by Aris (terrain and units). There are also great mods for effects, explosions, tracers etc. Jujus interface, Marcos unitcards, and uniform mods by EZ and Vein.. 

Mods and personalizing the look of the game is a lot of fun so go around and botanize.