Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

A how do I question

By looking in the CMFB manual and vehicle encyclopedia one can see that both german and US armor applicable for tank riders is almost the same vehicle list as is in CMBN series (minus late war armor not available during CMBN time perid). So likelyhood that tank riding is back ported to CMBN is high I´d say, at least as long as we speak of V3.x game engine. I´d expect a 10 $+ cost for a major engine upgrade like this for customers though. Leaves the question whether CW forces gets the necessary upgrade as well which then could probably be a seperate update and purchase.

When did the Allies actually use tank riders, outside of pre-engagement taxiing? They were well stocked with half tracks. Archival footage does show their use during and before the Bulge due to increasing fuel constraints.

American soldiers didn't ride tanks into battle as a matter of practice like the Germans did, but there are a number of photos that show GIs sitting on the engine deck of a Sherman here or there, most famously during Operation Cobra breakout from Normandy and crossing the Siegfried Line.

Edited by Childress

6 hours ago, Childress said:

...there are a number of photos that show GIs sitting on the engine deck of a Sherman here or there, most famously during Operation Cobra breakout from Normandy...

Definitely then. George Wilson's excellent memoir If You Survive gives descriptions of the practice during and after Cobra. BTW, this book goes on my short list of Must Reads.

Michael