Trying to get steady FPS

Normally I dont care that much but last Year i built a new computer and only played CM every now and then. However the last month I have been playing loads of CM single player and PBEM and the FPS Rises and drops between 10-60 FPS even with Vysnc on Its just getting really annoying I would love to play at a 30fps even as long as it was steady, but no matter what it keeps rising and dropping.

Spec: 

Core I-5 4690k 3.5GHz

R9 290 4GB

8 GB 1866 DDR3 ram

Windows 10 64bit

I know people say that CM has more trouble on AMD due to CM using OpenGL is there a way to fix this or improve performance to get Steady FPS?

The first thing I recommend is to play the game WEGO. I've found that I can't run larger scenarios (in any CM game) in real time as it slows down far too much. However when I play the same scenario using WEGO, I find that I have no performance loss of any kind.

The scenario I first discovered this in was part of a modded campaign for CMRT covering the German attacks near Ponyri at Kursk. As you can imagine the battles had a ton of forces on large maps, and my computer just couldn't handle it in real time. WEGO solved that issue for me. 

Note: the larger the scenario, the longer the loading time when ending a turn, but it usually isn't more than 20-30 seconds. 

I've also found that my settings (shown in the picture below) give me a very consistent frame rate. I can't give you exact numbers, but I can tell you that it always runs smoothly and reliably for me. Give em a shot, or maybe tweak them a bit to find your own sweet spot. 

C8MX0bl.jpg

I found that setting the 3D model and texture quality to the right setting had the most impact on performance for me, and what they are set to here seems to be my sweet spot. 

Note: My desktop display size is 1920x1080 and I have an NVIDIA card. 

I found that tweaking the settings under advanced didn't seem to make much of a difference for me, but I left the shaders on and the trees at low quality.

Hope this helps you out!

Edited by IICptMillerII