My units thicker than AI's!!

M18's buttoned up and all support surrendered. My infantry all over the place, but I cant get close enough to kill them for as soon as I assign a movement path where I hope the M18 will end up after retreating once again it move's somewhere else and my "stupid" infantry storms right passed!!

This has also happened to my infantry attacking some mortar crews in a foxhole. Once my infantry reached the foxhole and the previous occupants ran away my poor idiots did'nt know what to do - just sat there shooting a couple of shots at the mortar crew some meters away. How about a "Follow that MFer and kill him DEAD" command?

Guest Big Time Software

We thought about this a long time ago. Problem is that the enemy unit would then require a "shake that bastard off your tail" order. It would be very unfair if your unit could "smartly" follow the enemy unit but could not "smartly" try to avoid it. If we put in both orders, then guys would just be running willy nilly all over the place chasing each other wink.gif

However, a suggestion or two for an unrealted concern might yield a solution for some of the things you saw. But your guys will not go chasing after stuff on their own.

Steve

Something happen to me that was hard to believe. I had a bazooka team kill Tiger and I guess the crew of the Tiger was not too happy about it. After they bailed out they stormed into the woods where my bazooka team was hiding in a "foxhole". Then they proceeded to fire their pistols at my bazooka team and killed them both from about 20 meters. And I thought that crew was useless as a combat unit.

Paul

[This message has been edited by Paul (edited 11-07-99).]

Guest Scott Clinton

LOL! No, I like that! Thats great! I can just picture this vetern of Poland, France, Russia NEVER being knocked out...then this damn GREEN US bazooka team of 18 year olds burns his Tiger! LOL! So he is real pissed...takes out his pistol and leads his crew for revenge!

No, but truthfully. I see very little wrong with this. The Tiger crew was Vetern. They bailed out but did NOT break morale it would seem. And perhaps were a little pissed... wink.gif

------------------

The Grumbling Grognard

Guest Big Time Software

Paul, it is an extreme, but not unrealistic result. I read of one German tank commander knocked out near Faliase. He killed most of a Canadian rifle squad with his Walther P38 until they captured him a little later. While they were arguing over if they should murder him (they thought he was SS, and Canadians didn't often take SS prisoners alive), he simply left and returned to friendly lines.

Steve

I'm guessing that what happened from a game mechanics point of view is this:

Crews that i've seen bail out attempt to route to the nearest cover. In the case of the tiger crew the nearest cover was the woods hiding the bazooka team. When they got close the crew was unsuppresed so the natural AI response is to attack the nearby enemy. This could lead one to believe that the crew 'went after' the bazooka team. Maybe Big Time can verify.

This is the kind of thing that makes battles memorable in a wargame!

-Ren