Sound Contacts?

Is sound around the "listener" taken into consideration in getting a sound contact?In other words a tank would have a nearly impossible time hearing another tank due to their own engine noise?Or a squad directly next to a tank would have the same issue.Or perhaps close to an artillery barrage?If its windy and rainy, you cant hear anything.Does the engine model this?I havn't done any testing.

yeah ability to turn off engine to increase sound contact range would be cool. I heard the army had an armor ID book but I don't think you could tell what it was from the sound. It probably was inaccurate as well, but you could tell a truck from a tank for sure.

Edited by user1000

Is sound around the "listener" taken into consideration in getting a sound contact?In other words a tank would have a nearly impossible time hearing another tank due to their own engine noise?

Yes. A long time a go (but in this galaxy:-) I had a very good lesson on this.  I had a platoon of Royal Tigers formed up in a field behind the crest of a hill waiting to assault the town - the infantry support was still driving to their location.  The unbuttoned tanks sat waiting patiently for me to give the orders to crest the hill and attack the town.  The had no contacts of any kind.  As soon as the infantry started disembarking from their trucks and forming up in their jump of points in one tree line to assault the town the field next to my tanks light up with contacts that the infantry received once the were out of the trucks.

The had no visibility into the next field and neither did the tank commanders.  The infantry could hear moving enemy tanks beyond the tree line on the other side of the field. 

Here is the post I made back in the day:

I created a video for the fun that followed: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhDNa020EEw

Sadly I did not make one for the moment when the sound contacts started appearing.

Or a squad directly next to a tank would have the same issue.Or perhaps close to an artillery barrage?If its windy and rainy, you cant hear anything.Does the engine model this?I havn't done any testing.

I'm not sure how far it goes though...

yeah ability to turn off engine to increase sound contact range would be cool.

Except for the fact that, for some tanks at least, crews had to dismount to start the engine.  Defiantly not something that should be done when the action is close by.

I heard the army had an armor ID book but I don't think you could tell what it was from the sound. It probably was inaccurate as well, but you could tell a truck from a tank for sure.

So good thing the ? contacts in game differentiate between two sizes of tanks, half tracks and trucks.