Explosions/Richochets & Other Stuff

Excuse me if you've covered this already, but I'm curious how you'll

handle the explosions, etc...sometimes good games lose something

when the same explosion happens over and over, regardless of the

type of vehicle that is exploding or what it is hit with. Will you have

several different explosion types? How will fires or burning vehicles

be handled? How about smoke plumes from things on fire? Individual

soldiers - will they all fall the same? Hopefully not...thanks.

Guest Big Time Software

Explosions are transparent flaming polygons. The size of an explosion depends on the particular ordinance blowing up. Small, med, and large craters are left from impacts as well. It's cool to see a grassy hill after a mortar bombardment!

We do not have as wide a variety of vehicle damage, fire, or smoke as we would like. Some reasons are technical (say helllllo limited VRAM and limited CPU power!), others are financial (artists don't work for free), and still others are due to time (never enough to do everything). Most companies would have squandered their resources on flashier graphics for sure, but we aren't like that. We leveraged the limited hardware abilities, financial assets, and our time to making a much richer and deeper gaming experience than any WWII game has ever done before. The upshot is that we won't receive the Winner of the Worlds Most Dynamic Death and Destruction awards, but we really don't care. We've built a far better game that is, even without 10 different types of explosions, a much more engaging world to play in smile.gif We also think that when you sit yourself down in front of Combat Mission you will not miss the variety either. Lots of other stuff to keep your attention!

Ricochets for large caliber weapons (20mm and up) are modeled. You can see tank rounds rounds bounce off something like a King Tiger or Jumbo, as well as watching them in flight, hitting ground, or sailing off map to land in someone else's game smile.gif Tracers are shown as well, but don't ricochet visually, only through sound.

If either of you haven't done so already, we recommend downloading the QT movies of the game. Some of what you have asked about is in there.

www.battlefront.com/products/worldwar/cm then click on the Resources area on the left hand side.

Steve

I work ALMOST free. Of course, I'm not much of an artist, but hey nobody's perfect. :)

"You can see tank rounds rounds bounce off something like a King Tiger or Jumbo, as well as watching them in flight, hitting ground, or sailing off map to land in someone else's game"

D'OH! "I was just walking to the latrine, minding my own business, when BLAMMO an 88 HE shell blasts Bob's tent to splinters. Yeah, it was probably that blasted Fionn Kelly again, blazing away like the 4th of July!"

:)

DjB

Well all this talk of ricochets had me wanting to see if an 88 would ricochet off a tent.

Answer: Nope it won't.

P.s. Sorry about the tent Bob ;)

4th of July you say? Let's arrange some fireworks for the amis. What do you say to a little encampment bombardment *chuckle* ;)