Grrr ... how's this for long odds?

I played the Last Defence as the americans, to try it from the receiving end for a change smile.gif and figured I'd try a bold push down the left hand side of the map through the woods to the S bend in the road with a platoon and bazooka - hoping to get a side attack on his armour if they came through the gap. Risky, I thought, but with a great deal of potential as the position would allow the platoon to fire into the rear or flank of any german units trying their luck to get into town (and for that matter they knocked out a couple of the mech squads in the woods on the way).

My MGs managed to button up the tiger + stugs, but within 20 seconds of the hellcats arriving, two were smoke and the third was cowering behind a building - pretty much as I'd expected, though considering it took me two full turns as the germans to knock them out last time, I'd hoped they might last a bit longer smile.gif, however the first to die heroically immobilised the tiger in pretty much the perfect spot for the bazooka to ambush - isolated in the S bend with a spot that pretty much could only see the tiger - none of the other units. So sweet, this tiger's buttoned up and looking down the road, not to it's flank, so in comes the bazooka on sneak, gets near to 50m away, and lo and behold, the turrent swings round and the poor team's looking down the barrel of an 88 frown.gif They fire off one shot which penetrates that doesn't kill it before the coax MG puts em in the dead book. It wouldn't have bugged me if the turrent had swung round after the first hit, but as it was, that's some damn fine sixth sense that tiger commander had smile.gif.

Lost the game after that as his armour and artillery brought 3 or 4 key buildings down with my forces inside - taking out 3 squads, 2 mgs and a bazooka (youch frown.gif) - wasn't happy about how tightly packed they were, but didn't have the numbers to hold the whole village until the reinforcements arrived, and without foxholes, I figured the best place for em was under some sort of cover. I played me luck and this time it didn't hold smile.gif. Ah well, next time the tiger dies! wink.gif

[This message has been edited by StuNZ (edited 10-30-99).]

Talking about luck, a Sherman in Riesberg took 5 hits from an 88(all front upper hull ricochets) before being put out of action. It also managed to knock out one of the 88's, while my Tiger in last defense brewed up on the first shot from a Hellcat. (Got the dreaded weak spot hit lable.)

Here's luck:

Not only did my experience mimic EXACTLY what krm said about Riesberg and LastDefence (right down to the upper-hull ricochets) but, in Riesberg, I managed to kill all 4 Jumbos with green Panzerschreck teams! 3 of the tanks came down the road; the first took 2 hits that did nothing, and then the PS team, under fire from the tanks and 2 squads, in just under one minute hit with its last 3 charges and made kills with all 3. 2 minutes later, the PS team I had on the right-forward area, after watching the platoon it was with take 50% casualties, crawled out from under heavy woods cover about 20 METERS from the last Jumbo. They tracked the Jumbo while it advanced toward them, went behind a tree, and emerged from cover again. BLAMMO and the 4th Jumbo died.

After that I used the PS teams as building-busters. VERY effective in that function. Didn't cause a lot of casualties, but every time they fired a US infantry unit would get up and run.

That 3-minute span insured that I won the game by a wide margin (all VLs in my possession, KIA ration 62:17 in favor)

DjB

How about award for the greenest Tiger. As soon as my M-18s showed, the AI reversed the Tiger back up the road and into the woods. It was never seen again and the scenario played out all thirty turns, Allied Total Victory. I would attribute that largely to the poor poor effort of that Tiger.

LOL.

OK STOP POSTING AARS here for god's sake.

Send me some at Combathq where EVERYONE can read them for all eternity...

C'mon. Cool stories about a cowardly Tiger you just gotta share...

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

I had my 88 on the hill in Riesberg MISS 3 flank shots in a row, the tanks rotated, and my 4th bounced. Uhm, their shots were far better and that was the end of that gun!!

BTW, there are no Jumbos in that one. The US have two (I think!) Sherman 75s that have extra frontal armor. It can defeat the 88 Flak, but I am pretty sure the 88mm Pak43 would still get 'em. Turret is the weak spot, and of course ANY other part of the tank as well!

Steve