Large Objects (Such As Bridges) In Editor?

Guest Battlefront

Dar, both you and Moon are correct. We originally did not have a bridge you could move under, but now we do. We are still swearing at the Dutch engineers that came up with that bloody bridge design, or Monty for making such a big deal over it smile.gif Making the bridge a reality involved some ungly code hacking (Charles HATES to do hacks) to make it work. Alternative was about 6 weeks of recoding the entire core of the game engine. So it works but it isn't 100% perfect. I forget what the beef is, but I am pretty sure it was something not likely to affect gameplay in any meaningful way. In any case, it would be FAR worse to not have it at all.

Steve

Yeesh--Sounds like a prime area for your Beta testers to target.

I'd rather not see it put in then risk screwing up any existing code and delaying the release! I can understand Charles's reluctance 100%. How many scenarios do you really encounter where your guys have room to play under the bridges, anyway?

If it does work, though, I'll have to recreate the Three Billy Goats and the Troll Under the Bridge scenario, and give the goats Panzerfausts.

Dar Steckelberg

Whew! That's a relief!

Glad to know you guys are still on the ball, as usual! smile.gif

Man, this game sounds like there's unlimited gameplay...Man, It all sounds too good to be true! I keep waiting for the Beta Demo wanting it to prove my hope right!

That there is a War Game that every Wargammer has been dreaming about and it about to become a reality!

------------------

Sgt. Rock Says " War is Hell, but games are fun "

Guest Battlefront

Dar,

It's actually been in for a couple of months. Haven't played with it much as the ONLY application for it (historical anyhoo) that I can think of is Arnhem. But you know, that was SUCH an important battle, and a popular one, there is no way we could avoid shipping without it. The hacks aren't the type that are likely to cause problems either. They just aren't as clean as the rest of the code. Keep in mind that Charles' hacks are better than most people's clean code smile.gif

Thanks Sgt Rock! Things are coming to a head fairly quickly on the Beta front. It won't be much longer for sure.

Steve

I am just going to chip in on this tall bridges thing.

Now where is that damn short club...oh here it is... the chipping wedge. He sets, he swings, its... up on the green and in the hole! smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We are still swearing at the Dutch engineers that came up with that bloody bridge design, or Monty for making such a big deal over it<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Steve, I am sure those engineers are still swearing at the Germans and the Brittish for wrecking their bridge! I know I would. wink.gif

Dar, the Arnhem bridge was indeed a special case and like Steve said it had to be done. An Arnhem scenario would be useless with out this type of bridge. In Arnhem two main streets pass under the bridge near the river. These two streets are the only way to cross the main roadway that more or less splits the town into two seperate parts. You can cross over this road further into town but you would not be able to shift forces from one side of the bridge to the other in a timely fashon. Simply put, you could not have an Arnhem battle with out one.

There were many battles that revolved around "Tall Bridges". This is simply because major bridge structures span major obstacles. Heavy vehicles and supply trains require stable bridges to get to where the are needed. Also it is a logistics nightmare to span a major river with a pontoon bridge and temporary structures (eg. bailey bridges)are impractical. Therefore, major bridges are of great strategic importance. Many battles were fought over these "tall bridges" and the ability to pass under one pays off not only for Arnhem but also for others. I imagine that if units can pass under them then you must be able to shoot under them also. This will be important in river assault scenarios. I am not sure if river assaults are in CM now but I think I remember that they were atleast added to the list. I have also heard that river currents will be modeled in the next module wink.gif of CM.

BTW Dar, when you get the scenario of the billy goats and the troll all sorted out, I will play the billy goats if you need an opponent. wink.gif

------------------

Rhet

[This message has been edited by Rhet (edited 09-16-99).]

Sounds like a deal, Rhet. By the way, I think the billy goats should have flamethrowers instead of Panzerfausts after careful consideration, because trolls can regenerate.

Is "Combat Mission Meets Dungeons and Dragons" a future release? I want to pit an SS PanzerGrenadier battalion against a legion of orcs! :)

Dar Steckelberg