Loadout question

Jotte

I've just started up a session with Cry Havoc and split of a scout team from one of 1st platoons rifle squads. When I viewed them after they toke fire scouting the bridge I noticed that they carry some 20 rounds of 40x46 HEDP (see picture below) but neither of them have a underslung M320 and neither does anyone in the "main" squad. Is this a bug or is there some sort of ammo redundancy within the same platoon?  :)

SESucnY.jpg

When I was a rifle platoon sgt, long long ago, every man carried additional rounds for the platoon M-79 (blooper) and later for the M-203 in each fire team. If we were reinforced with an M-60 machine gun sqd (two guns), each man would carry an additional 200 or 400 7.62 rounds for the guns. If we had a a 60mm mortar section (three tubes) attached, each man in the plt carried one or two 60mm rounds for the tubes. I don't find it unusual that "teams" would have rounds for a 320 (?) even if they don't have a 320 (?).

What I do find unusual is that a scout team would have rounds for a weapon they don't have. If I was sending out a scout team, I'd make sure they left with their sqd ldr, any ammo they didn't need so we wouldn't lose it if we lost that team. That said, the smallest team I'd send out to scout would be a fire team (with a grenade launcher). That is the smallest unit in a Marine rifle platoon. I don't think I'd ever split up a fire team.

I would have expected the game to redistribute the additional ammo in the same way it does with hand grenades for an assault team.

It might be that if you loaded the troops for bear earlier the AI cross leveled load across soldiers with carrying capacity. 

Generally crossloading for weapons systems isn't uncommon.  I haven't seen it done for 40 MM grenades, but wouldn't rule it out especially if the unit was carrying over its allocation.  

Re: M320

It's just the modern M203.  In terms of performance there's not much difference, loads break action from the side, optics are fancier, grenade is same 40 MM as always.  It can be fitted with a stand-alone kit though which is helpful when you're looking to use it for less than lethal means*

Re: Scouts

Two man scout team isn't exceptionally uncommon these days, but it's distance from other elements is meant to be short.  Think of it like I'm going to hold up with the Platoon about halfway up this hill, and we're going to send SGT Smith and PFC Smithe about 200 meters forward to see if the hill is clear like the S2 said it was.

Lower profile for looking ahead, but not really intended to go too far was sort of the jist of it from my understanding.

*As you had to point your lethal rifle at someone to fire a M203 less than lethal round, which often gave the "we're here to shoot you all dead!" vs the "RETURN TO YOUR HOMES IT IS NOT SAFE HERE" message

Looked at and here's the explanation...

EVERY time you start a battle, the exact weapon loadout can change. Look in the manual for information about weapon choices in the editor. A lot of times the weapon choices are not fixed, but have a chance of showing up.

Meaning, the first time I play a battle, my squad may have one M320. The next time it may have 2 of them. There is some randomization of the squad structure, head count, and load out. The designer can restrict it (to the degree allowed), or allow the options to "float" a bit. I started "Cry Havoc" four times. I took screenshots of my starting force the last 3 times. The first time I had a very different first squad than the next three. Sorry for the lack of screenie on that one. Click the Spoiler, below, to see my results.

Havoc%20All02.jpg

This is normal for all CM games. It is very subtle and is frequently not noticed. However, the ammo loadout starts with a fixed, basic, amount. It seems like the 40mm is part of that, rather than being a supplemental ammo. (Note how the 40mm is increased when needed, however?) I'll see if we can get the 40mm to be removed from the basic loadout and only added if needed. 

Nice catch.

Ken

Edited by c3k

Ahh that explains it. Thank you c3k. :)I just drove them to their split of position from the set up zone without dismounting or interacting with the rest of the platoon.  My scout team was split of from a squad that had the same rnd result as 1st sqd in your first try.

No, each of these squads has an M320.  Loading up the mission and splitting off scout teams leaves the 40mm with the M320, not on the scout team.  I suspect this condition was achieved post casualties (e.g. perhaps the M320 gunner was a cas and the ammo ended up with them).

edit: nevermind, I see their strength is set to 90% so there is a slight chance the M320 gunner in a squad could be eliminated.  However, the allocation of M320s is not randomized at battle start but set by options.  At full strength the squad will either have 1 M320 and 1 M25 or 2x M320 depending on the option selected.  I'm guessing when casualties are applied, the man and weapon is eliminated (unless a squad weapon) and his ammo distributed to the remaining squad.  This makes sense with squad weapons (LMGs, ATWs) but not so much with personal arms.

Edited by akd