AI never buys trenches, nor bunkers, in assault QB?

I'm playing around with the "suggestions" button in the quick battle force selection.

Setting up an assault mission against the germans, using suggestions to compose an enemy force. The suggestions never include trenches, nor bunkers, despite having plenty of rarity points to spare. It does buy foxholes and barbed wire.

Is this an issue that has been fixed in later versions of the game? I'm on 2.12.

I suspect that the art of using trenches and bunkers well is difficult to program. Poorly positioned trenches and bunkers are an utter waste of points (indeed, it's arguable whether even well positioned fortifications are worth the points...), whereas some simple rules for foxhole and wire deployment could be conceived to make them at least passing useful.

Very true, but one could argue the same for AFVs and AT-guns.

It would be so nice if the map designer could paint various zones on the map for various types of units. "AT-guns can go here, here, here and here, trenches would make sense here, here and here, HMGs here..."

Not sure if it was improved after version 2.12, where the designer can only paint setup areas for various "groups", but has no influence over what kind of unit goes where...

Edited by Bulletpoint

Very true, but one could argue the same for AFVs and AT-guns.

It would be so nice if the map designer could paint various zones on the map for various types of units. "AT-guns can go here, here, here and here, trenches would make sense here, here and here, HMGs here..."

Not sure if it was improved after version 2.12, where the designer can only paint setup areas for various "groups", but has no influence over what kind of unit goes where...

The AI doesn't use AT guns very well, but at least it has the option of moving them, and moving is what AFVs are for... :)

It's something I've suggested in one of the suggestions threads: tag an AI group with "for ATGs" or "for AFVs" or whatever so you can be sure that the orders you're assigning to a group will at least be somewhat relevant in QBs. It seems at the moment that the arbitrary assignment of assets to groups could mean the group that has the "counterattack when enemy forces reach position X" orders might well consist of an IG, 2 20mm Flak and some leg infantry (hint: they'll never get there in time).