Confusion about bunker purchase in editor and QB

I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but when you buy bunkers in the editor or for a QB are they always empty and you have to put troops there? So if they are empty why are there settings for fitness/leadership/experience and so on? If I select different MG layout, can they be manned by just about any troops or do they have to be matching MG units?

Target Reference Points (TRPs) also have changeable soft factors which of course don't change anything.  I think  rule of thumb is to look at the point cost over on the right side of purchase screen when you change the soft factor.  The only time a soft factor is actually changed is when a change has been made to the cost.  If you change a bunker from green experience to elite and the price did not change there are no troops that come with the bunker.

I think only the anti-tank bunkers have troops that come with the bunker/AT gun.  The normal bunkers have no troops but may have a MG.   

If I remember nine troops can fit inside a bunker. The first team of troops into the bunker become the "Bunker Crew" and operate the MG if one is present. You could put a three man scout team into the MG bunker, next a two man sniper team, next a two man F/O team and then a two man BAR team.  The first team to enter (three man scout) would operate the MG.  The other teams can shoot with the weapons they carry to defend the bunker.  (troops can also acquire ammo from the bunker supply)

Just like anything else the better the soft factors the better a team will perform as the MG team.

I also found this on page 194 of CMBN equipment manual from the German perpspective: when purchasing bunkers, players have the choice between unarmed shelters, or bunkers equipped with M34 or M42 heavy machinegun positions. Most bunkers also provide an ammunition cache that can be used by infantry units to replenish/acquire ammo.

Hope that helped.

Thanks for the detailed answer. I have only purchased AT bunkers so that caused the confusion.

I also read that part in the manual about "acquire". But you can't occupy a vacated bunker can you? Maybe you can sit in the next action square and do it?

Thanks for the detailed answer. I have only purchased AT bunkers so that caused the confusion.

I also read that part in the manual about "acquire". But you can't occupy a vacated bunker can you? Maybe you can sit in the next action square and do it?

You can't occupy one that's had its occupants forced out, but if you just move them out of the bunker, they can be replaced. Effectively, bunkers are very like static vehicles.