Tip for CMBS movie making

If this post is more proper in tech section, then please move my post to there. :)

1) Record 

I had hard time to find a proper software to record DirectX/OpenGL game. All other programs, like OBS or Shadowplay, had problem with this. It was impossible to record properly CMBS. ( In OBS, you can use the window mode to record, but quality decreases) 

Finally, I found "loilo game recorder" It is free, it is not a heavy program, and it works nicely with CMBS. For me, degree of FPS decreasing during recording was not severe, just small numbers. This is my current record program. 

One drawback is, to record cursor, you need to use window mode. I didn't tried but I guess loilo will make some quality decrease in window mode, like other softwares do. So, I'm not recording the cursor in my video. 

2) Encoding

I'm using lightworks free version. There are some limitations in free version, but only for encoding to upload in youtube, free version works enough. (though the free version's maximum youtube quality is 720p). There are lots of great videos in youtube if you search "lightworks tutorial". Like https://youtu.be/ZUMylx7lCa0?list=PLhaLh8Y1rcya1tgPS_i2zxbaBiHkbaf3m  and  https://youtu.be/7znIHsyqfm0. 

I shared this information, because I want to watch more CMBS videos. With these programs, recording and encoding are not a terribly difficult task. (though it costs some time).

AAR with pics and explanations is also excellent way of sharing CMBS experience, but I think good one video would be better way. Cool, fancy CMBS walkthrough/battle video with epic music (like Hans Zimmer music or russian army choir musics XD) will be awesome, and that could be the great way to share/advertise this game, and bring more new CMBS players. 

Edited by exsonic01

If this post is more proper in tech section, then please move my post to there. :)

1) Record 

I had hard time to find a proper software to record DirectX/OpenGL game. All other programs, like OBS or Shadowplay, had problem with this. It was impossible to record properly CMBS. ( In OBS, you can use the window mode to record, but quality decreases) 

Finally, I found "loilo game recorder" It is free, it is not a heavy program, and it works nicely with CMBS. For me, degree of FPS decreasing during recording was not severe, just small numbers. This is my current record program. 

One drawback is, to record cursor, you need to use window mode. I didn't tried but I guess loilo will make some quality decrease in window mode, like other softwares do. So, I'm not recording the cursor in my video. 

Or you could try FRAPS which isn't free, but is very cheap, and I don't think suffers from any of the above drawbacks. It's quite popular, I understand, amongst the movie-makers of the game.

I use Shadowplay without issue to record. Shadowplay also does not induce any performance degradation like FRAPs or similar products. The trick is to enable desktop capture in the settings. Manually start recording before you start CMBS. All of my CM videos were captured using Shadowplay with a GTX 780 Ti.

I also use Sony Vegas to render and Adobe Creative Suite for other things like graphics/art.

Edited by xIGuNDoCIx

I use Shadowplay without issue to record. Shadowplay also does not induce any performance degradation like FRAPs or similar products. The trick is to enable desktop capture in the settings. Manually start recording before you start CMBS. All of my CM videos were captured using Shadowplay with a GTX 780 Ti.

I also use Sony Vegas to render and Adobe Creative Suite for other things like graphics/art.

I forgot to mention that I'm using laptop. Some laptops equipped with dual graphic system (intel internal + external) which makes all those problems with recording softwares. I think shadowplay is not ready for laptop, but I understand that because it is still beta.