Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

WP Rounds Used To Disable Tanks?

I've heard that in real battle, the Allies used WP rounds against the Germs because the smoke produced by them would get sucked into the ventilation system of the German tanks and force the crew to abandon the vehicle. Can anyone confirm this and is this modeled in CM?

I've heard that in real battle, the Allies used WP rounds against the Germs because the smoke produced by them would get sucked into the ventilation system of the German tanks and force the crew to abandon the vehicle. Can anyone confirm this and is this modeled in CM?

I think the use was to blind the germans, primarily; if it got sucked in, that was a bonus. I don't believe it's modelled in CM, but then neither is the "instant smoke" generated by WP; it's treated pretty much like base ejection smoke.

is wp so incapacitating, even if inhaled in low concentrations?

I don't think that in the case the op mentioned, the vehicle ventilation would blow air which was 100% wp into the tank.

And, didn't filtration systems exists back then? I doubt that with today's AFVs such situation would arise

is wp so incapacitating, even if inhaled in low concentrations?

I don't think that in the case the op mentioned, the vehicle ventilation would blow air which was 100% wp into the tank.

And, didn't filtration systems exists back then? I doubt that with today's AFVs such situation would arise

The bits I've seen suggest that rather than the smoke itself incapacitating the tankers, it was the fear that the smoke was arising from a fire within the tank, with all its pyrotechnic contents that led to paniced abandonment. Though WP smoke is pretty nasty to breathe.

WP will irritate the eyes, respiration and mucous membranes at fairly light exposure levels.  Heavy exposure can burn or even kill.  I guess if I was sat in a now blind tank, filling up with the stuff I would be thinking about being elsewhere quite sharply.