VC's like ASL

I've looked through some previous posts and it appears that the victory conditions for CM will be limited to the 'capture the flag' type. (Sorry if I missed something and am wrong about that) My hope is that the scenario builder can create the same amount of variation in how a scenario is won as ASL does. VC's like exiting units, eliminating guns/tanks, clearing areas (like hills), etc...

The game looks and plays great as is, far better than any computer war game I've ever seen. Can't wait for the final release...

Regards,

Stryker

Guest Captain Foobar

Howdy,

There are a number of threads that describe Victory Conditions not as Capture The Flag, but of a more well rounded concept. The program takes both team's units that are in the vicinity into account when determining who is currently more in control of that Victory Flag, and the region surrounding it. I have had a force directly underneath the Victory Flag, and had it shown as under enemy control. My force consisted of a half-squad of battered troops, and there was a full platoon of fresh American troops within 50 meters firing at me. Although, I was touching base, it was obvious that the enemy was in control of the area to me, and the game did a pretty good job of analizing that.

In addition, I have heard that Campaign style missions might not have strict victory objectives, or flags. Since 2 or 3 scenarios could take place on the map, the objective would be to force the opponent back, or destroy them completely.

In everything I have said, I am speculating, and repeating info from this forum.Obviously, I cannot speak for BTS, but I hope that this helps.

You have a wide variety of victory conditions in CM, more than in any other computer wargame that I have seen so far.

You have the more or less standard victory flags, which, however, do not automatically go to the side which moved his units through a "hex" last - instead you need to keep your units in their vicinity to be able to control and claim them for victory purposes. If the enemy is nearby and strong enough, the flag might be neutral even though you are sitting right on top of it.

But you also have dynamic flags, i.e. you have more than one flag on the map, but only one of them is valid and the other is "bogus". Which is which can be determined either randomly or by the attacker at the start of a game. The defender has no clue which is the real one.

Besides that, you also have exit zones (you can designate any map edge as exit zone for both sides), and certain units might be eligible to leave while others are not.

Operations are a completely different story, where things like speed of advance come into play etc. For all victory conditions, however, casualties (yours and the enemy's) are very important as well and in fact might mean defeat or a draw although you are in possession of most victory flags.

Just to add to Moon's post you also have basic point values for units and bonus points that can be assigned. SO you have Objective locations, casualy VPs and exit VPs. Plus overriding all that you have whatever you are ordered to do in the mission briefing of which all the various VP mechanics are just tools to get the player to do what he has been ordered in the breifing.

Los