C&C cohesion and squad spacing

I recently saw bulletpoints post in a tips and tricks thread where he explains how he keeps his men within at least 50m of there squad leader by drawing a circular target arc. My question for everyone is, how far do you extend a platoons frontage on the attack, do you also keep them within at least 50m so everyone is in command and control or do you keep a wide spread to minimize possible casuialties, I realize this is situational but I figured everyone has a sort of SOP they stick with?

Edited by Raptorx7

I go by terrain most of the time, but have no problem spacing them as much as needed in CMBS because there are so many radios especially for USA. The best part is squads can be split and each have a radio unlike ww2. For an example for the mission I just finished I kept the platoon HQ in his stryker well behind the platoon which was spread across the map. They were spread so much because all I got was a single platoon, so depending on the amount of the force and how big the map is that will also be variables on how much they may be spread out. If I can keep within close visual or voice I will especially during an assault as it will provide a stronger C2 link which will give a bit of a morale/cohesion boost.

Rap,

I think you were talking about this post: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119361-what-are-your-favorite-cm-tips-and-tricks/?p=1604371 in the CMBN thread.  :)

I probably should have been a little more detailed in my post.  The example was for WWII infantry.  The platoon leader is the only one with a radio so the subordinate squads / teams have to be close enough to the platoon HQ to stay in C2.  This tip is also good for giving a rough estimate of the platoons Area of Operations A/O.

In CMBS every US fire team has a radio/device and the firepower is much deadlier than in WWII.  In CMBS I don't keep my infantry as close to the platoon HQ as I do in the WWII titles.  But I still like the idea of the Platoon HQ circular target arc helping to define the A/O of the platoon.  

So you raise an interesting topic.  In general terms what approximate size of an Area of Operations should a dismounted US infantry platoon have in CMBS?  A Russian infantry platoon?  A Ukrainian infantry platoon?  I have been experimenting with my dismounted US infantry in CMBS and attempting to find a typical size Area of Operations for the platoons.  Using the above tip from WWII I am now using a infantry platoon HQ with a 150 meter circular target arc so the subordinate squads and fire teams are operating in an approximately 300 meter diameter area. Typically with two squads up one back, weapons teams etc trailing until called forward when needed.  I am still trying to decide if this is workable or not.  It would be interesting to hear what others think and what they use.

I thought I read what the typical frontage was for a modern US Infantry platoon in FM 3-21.10 (FM 7-10).  But of course, now that I want it for this post, I can't find it in the FM.          

Rap,

I think you were talking about this post: http://community.battlefront.com/topic/119361-what-are-your-favorite-cm-tips-and-tricks/?p=1604371 in the CMBN thread.  :)

I probably should have been a little more detailed in my post.  The example was for WWII infantry.  The platoon leader is the only one with a radio so the subordinate squads / teams have to be close enough to the platoon HQ to stay in C2.  This tip is also good for giving a rough estimate of the platoons Area of Operations A/O.

In CMBS every US fire team has a radio/device and the firepower is much deadlier than in WWII.  In CMBS I don't keep my infantry as close to the platoon HQ as I do in the WWII titles.  But I still like the idea of the Platoon HQ circular target arc helping to define the A/O of the platoon.  

So you raise an interesting topic.  In general terms what approximate size of an Area of Operations should a dismounted US infantry platoon have in CMBS?  A Russian infantry platoon?  A Ukrainian infantry platoon?  I have been experimenting with my dismounted US infantry in CMBS and attempting to find a typical size Area of Operations for the platoons.  Using the above tip from WWII I am now using a infantry platoon HQ with a 150 meter circular target arc so the subordinate squads and fire teams are operating in an approximately 300 meter diameter area. Typically with two squads up one back, weapons teams etc trailing until called forward when needed.  I am still trying to decide if this is workable or not.  It would be interesting to hear what others think and what they use.

I thought I read what the typical frontage was for a modern US Infantry platoon in FM 3-21.10 (FM 7-10).  But of course, now that I want it for this post, I can't find it in the FM.          

I apologize for the mix up MOS ;) I edited the OP, thanks for the informative post.

:D

Edited by Raptorx7

I apologize for the mix up MOS ;) I edited the OP, thanks for the informative post.

No problem.  Thanks for the interesting topic.  I was doing some more experimenting and noticed that the spacing of units in the formation may also depend on the electronic warfare setting.  From the 3.01 game manual page 77:

ELECTRONIC WARFARE STRONG:
- All radio and satellite communications links are disabled. Units must maintain C3 links via verbal face-to-face communications or visual hand signals.

This setting seems like it is actually harder on C2 than the WWII titles.  Not even the platoon HQ radio.  This would be a challenge.