An odd question.

I can remember my days of playing SteelPanthers; often my artillery or airpower would hit and immobilize a tank/vehicle that none of my troops could yet see. Then there would be, on the map, a smoke trail where the immobilized vehicle was; even though I couldn't see the vehicle, I knew where it was from it's smoke.

Is CM going to be like this, ie you can see the smoke from burning vehicles on the other side of the hill, even if you can't see the vehicles themselves?

I have no opinion on whether this sort of thing would be realistic or not, I'm just curious about if you're doing it this way.

DjB

------------------

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion.

remove the caps letters in my address to email me

Guest Big Time Software

Unlike SP a vehicle can be knocked out without smoking. So if your artillery hits something hidden, and it is simply disabled or knocked out w/o a fire, then you won't see it.

However, if you DO spark something up, smoke will be visible. This is 100% realistic, even when behind a hill. Smoke columns go hundreds of feet into the air, even when there is strong wind (reminder we aren't simulating wind). You won't have a clue WHAT you hit, but only that you hit something. The unit itself won't be shown until it is spotted. Also, you can see a knocked out unit and not know exactly what it is too.

Steve

So, seeing a smoke column, could I call further arty on that area, hoping that there were more targets near the first, and that some "hit the dirt" rather than get out of the impact area?

Cool.

DjB

------------------

A fool takes no pleasure in understanding, but only in expressing personal opinion.

So, seeing a smoke column, could I call further arty on that area, hoping that there were more targets near the first, and that some "hit the dirt" rather than get out of the impact area?

Cool.

DjB

------------------

Doug,

My question to you is if this happened behind a hill where none of your units could physically see, how would you know you hit an enemy unit w/ your artillery vs. some trees or a house that caught fire instead? BTS, all things being equal, isn't it just as likely something that is a non-enemy unit is burning back there vs. a tank, halftrack, truck, etc.?

Mike D

aka Mikester

Guest Big Time Software

I wouldn't say "just as likely", but your point is correct. The artillery could have just started a fire in a field or something. However, probability says that a vehicle is a lot easier to spark up than a patch of grass all else being equal. One has gas and ammo, the other just vegitation.

Steve

That makes sense I guess. My thought was how do you know there is a vehicle over there in the first place, but chances are there is something. Since you as the player have a fairly good idea that the enemy is over there "somewhere". Unless, of course, the scenario designer is simulating the 3rd armies dash across France and didn't program any German defenders in in the first place :). But then, what fun would that be????

Mike D

aka Mikester

(Some assembly required, your parents put it together)

Hmmm this is getting sorta silly...

DjB

------------------