Sherman Armor Modification Pics

Mike D

OK, I give up trying to get these pics in here. I'm using Netscape so I'm not sure if that is the problem or what, but I can't get the pics to post here. Didn't there used to be a button or something on here to do this sort of thing? Anyway, I've gone ahead and emailed them to Steve/Charles and Dano. Also, anyone else that wants the pics just send me an email at mikester@ibm.net and I'll be happy to send them to you as well. And if anyone can tell me how to get them to post here and Steve thinks it won't jam up the system, let me know how and I'll put them up.

Mike.

Moon,

I see. Patrick over at thegamers.net sent me a message something along those lines too. Actually, I've sent him the pic's and he is going to post them over there. When he's done, one of us will post the URL here for anyone interested to go there to view the pics.

Regards,

Mike D

aka Mikester

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 09-12-99).]

those are pretty clean pics, thx.

I've heard stories of nonpenetrating shell hits to cause metal to flake off on the inside and act as shrapnel, was this a common cause of casualties for armored vehicles?

The metal that flakes off of the interior armor plate is referred to as spall. Spall can do quite significant damage to the interior of a tank. Spall flies around cutting up electrical cables, hydraulic lines and causing ammo fires. Spall can be produced by non-penetrating hits. Spall also causes crew casualties. A penetrating hit always produces spall but non-penetraing hits can also produce spall especially certain types of high explosive rounds. The HESH (High Explosive Squash Head) round mentioned in the Tanks Firing Indirect thread is designed to kill a tank by causing massive spalling. HESH (very simplified explanation follows) functions by flattening against the armor of the target and then detonating. The shock wave travels through the armor and generates spall. A Challenger in the gulf war killed a T-72 at a range of over 5000 meters using a hesh round. The US version of hesh is called HEP (High Explosive Plastic) and is only available for the 105mm tank gun which is almost completely phased out of service.

[This message has been edited by Harold Jones (edited 09-13-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Non-penetrating hits can cause damage and/or crew casualites in CM. As a matter of fact, I just saw a 105mm howitzer Sherman due some damage to a Jagdtiger. Got a direct hit on the front at about 300m. Can't remember what exactly, but the tank felt it.

I also read somewhere that German tank crews sometimes tried to scrape the ineterior paint off from their AFVs because the paint flakes could cause cuts. If anybody has seen military paint flakes, they would know why smile.gif

Steve

Thanks Harold.

On the same lines, weren't some of the italian tanks put together with rivits, as in large flat metal plates rivited along the seams? Wouldn't want to be inside when they sheared off...

According to George Bush Jr. that orginally took the pics and sent them to me to scan in I believe the kill hit is the one on the upper edge of the left side of the turret. Since the extra plates are not there I'm not sure if it partially hit one of the welded on plates, or not. Judging from the weld line running up the side of the turret it appears that it may have hit this extra plate. In the second photo you can see this penetration (they actually covered the hole with what looks like some open mesh grating for some reason). It's just above the green sign on the front railing above the "AN" in the word TANK. You can also see it in the fourth photo right along the upper edge of the picture about 20% of the way from the right edge of the photo. In this same pic you can also see the shot that hit the gun barrel. George said that he thought this shot was a richocet from one of the ones striking the front hull. It looks to me like the shot that hit the left corner of the tank (4th photo) where the front armor joins the side armor most likely deflected off the tank hull at this point and thence onward to nail the gun barrel.

Mike D

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 09-13-99).]