? -New Demo and stuff

Hey when the new demo is availble will the old missions be compatible with the new demo build / Full copy?

When someone creates a DYO mission for PBEM, how will the terain be generated? by a list of types (grassy hills,city,small office cubes wink.gif)or just randomly?

When selecting units for DYO, when buying inf will it be by Platoon (1co +3 squads) or buy squad? ill assume armour is one by one.

Not sure about the old demo scenarios being compatible or not. I doubt it though since it would take extra effort to make them compatible.

The Beta Demo scenarios ARE compatible with the full version. I've played them using the full version.. Same will go for the gold demo obviously since the gold demo is "final code" same as released code.

You select some choices when generating DYO maps to set hilliness and general terrain types, farmland, village, town etc

Buying is always by platoon, company or battalion (except for individual teams (schrecks, sharpshooters etc) ).

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Did I read that there are snipers? (Sharpshooters or whatever). This would be a good thing. As well as being good shots I think snipers had the sort of mental makeup which was required. i.e.; they could actually pull the trigger on another human being and not just blaze away in the general direction of the bad guys in a conscience-buffering manner. If this was the case then I would think that they made up a relatively high proportion of the combat strength of a unit for a single soldier. In that case they should be represented and be effective in CM. Anybody have any views on this?

The sniper in Riesberg never hits anything. I tried playing the scenario three times in a row, but even though the americans were moing across open ground, hed didn't get a single kill at distances of 500m or less.

Of course he shouldn't be able to kill a platoon, but not scoring a single hit seems unrealistic. So sharpshootes don't seem to be very effective in the game.

I have one thing to say to you Das Boot FOW wink.gif. Fog of War strikes again wink.gif

I have played many PBEM games of Riesberg and in EVERY single game my sharpshooter has gotten at least 5 kills. My record is 9 kills for the single sharpshooter.

In one game he killed a TC and wiped out an M1919MMG to the last man before running out of ammo.

I find sharpshooters are extremely effective and quite deadly. They are excellent at harrassing the flanks of advancing enemy forces also BUT you've got to place them so that they are not disturbed by enemy firing at the building they are in.

Das Boot, the reason you aren't seeing any kills is NOT that he hasn't killed anyone but simply is due to the fact he hasn't had any CONFIRMED kills. E.g. your sniper may have killed 4 people but may not show ANY kills when you hit enter. THAT is part of FOW.

AACooper,

dyo1.JPG

Here's an example of a DYO map which took me less than 40 seconds to make from the moment I double-clicked on the CM executable to the map being generated. Took me about a minute to scope out a nice position for the photo but that doesn't count wink.gif

Oh BTW the textures don't come out so well in a jpg but they are autumnal textures and are thus a bit more yellow than the summer grass textures.

Like I have said before, much has changed since the beta demo.

Fionn Kelly

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 12-16-99).]

Fionn,

Does that also apply when the mission is finished and you can view the map, cause that's when I looked at his kills, and he had zero? Maybe I was just unlucky, and he was under a lot of fire, so I guess that's why.

[This message has been edited by Das Boot (edited 12-16-99).]

I'm pretty sure that it's still only confrimed kills at the end of the game. So unless you have full identification of an enemy unit (can see the number of men when you click on it) a kill won't show up. This is why the number of casualties shown in the results screen is always more then the number of kills shown for individual units.

Umm, I'm not sure Das Boot in the FULL GAME it shows all kills at game end but the beta demo is so old now that I completely forget.

I will say this though, My sharpshooter in Riesberg is averaging about 5 kills a game (confirmed)

BTW the reason the picture is dark is cause I made it an overcast rainy day wink.gif.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Wow, that was awesome for a random generated map. DYO looks like it will actually be cool in CM. In SP I got tired of the battle generator battles fairly quickly, they had really lame maps etc. However, I just recently stopped playing the other parts of SP.

IS there any plans for a TOTAL RANDOM battle generator?

I remember the days that i would only chose the best armour and a little inf when playing SP1 and SP2 , and ive seen people get into a rut about just using one type of tank or infantry platoon type and choose nothing else. Gameplay gets a little stale after that.

Some times not knowing what your going to use is a intresting twist to a multiplayer game.

Ok, I can see its time for me to explain.

The DYO battle generator works as follows.

Click on DYO battles.

Select the forces to fight eachother:

Select whether they should be infantry, mechanised or armoured for each side, say what quality and whether they are automatically purchased or purchased by the AI.

Then set the month, time of day, environment, who is attacking whom, the points per side, whether one side has a handicap or not etc. There's more but I don't remember ALL of the options.

Then hit Done and you go to the map generator.

Choose the map type, urban, town, farm, rural, the hilliness (about 5 options IIRC) and the level of trees ( 4 or 5 options).

Then hit done...

a couple of seconds later you have a playable computer-generated map with your computer-bought units (assuming you let the computer buy) and you set them up and play.

Simple.

Tzeench, DYO does what you want.

Fionn Kelly

[This message has been edited by Fionn (edited 12-16-99).]

It's in addition.

Ok, I'll make this clear.

1. You can design your own maps tile by tile, elevation by elevation using the editor.

2. You can save these maps and upload them to CMHQ for swapping.

3. If you want you can add units to the maps and then make a scenario (then give it to CMHQ hehe wink.gif )

4. If you don't want to spen time making a map etc you can simply click the DYO button and make a map with forces on it based on the choices I told you above. You can be done in a minute AND then you can play against the AI, hotseat, PBEM or TCP/IP (when that's added).

It's all very flexible and good.

------------------

Fionn Kelly