Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Target Arc

Newbie question alert.

When using the target arc, do I need the arc to cover all the ground, up to the maximum range I want them to cover, or do I just need to define the angle, meaning that they will target anything within arc range at and distance.

Thanks

One minor wrinkle - be aware that if you have set a Target Arc at a waypoint, it only activates when the LAST member of a squad is deemed to have arrived at the destination. So if you have a squad with a "slow guy" ( carrying heavy weapon or yellow base wound are the usual culprits ), other squad members may bang away at enemy who might be beyond the targetarc until it "kicks in" when the slow guy arrives.

I now usually set it one waypoint early ;)

If you move your troops while they have a cover arc, the cover arc will move WITH the troops.

Specifically, if they're infantry, the TA will remain aligned in the compass direction it was set in, regardless of any turns the troops might seem to have taken, but will remain fixed relative to the longitudinal axis of any vehicle, so a turning tank's TA will change orientation relative to the ground.

One minor wrinkle - be aware that if you have set a Target Arc at a waypoint, it only activates when the LAST member of a squad is deemed to have arrived at the destination. So if you have a squad with a "slow guy" ( carrying heavy weapon or yellow base wound are the usual culprits ), other squad members may bang away at enemy who might be beyond the targetarc until it "kicks in" when the slow guy arrives.

I now usually set it one waypoint early ;)

I often set a short, circular arc for the last leg of an approach to a firing position where I want to have a "hold your fire until you can see the whites of their eyes" TA, and have that TA set the orientation of the troops. It's a bit fiddly, but means the early arrivers don't start taking potshots, and I don't have to estimate as much about distances and bearings for the terminal TA.