45mm AT guns and their use

I was wondering something today. I know the soviets made the 45mm anti tank gun in HUGE numbers and scattered them all over the place but it seems I hardly ever see them in cmrt scenarios. I know they are in Woboblin Bridgehead (perhaps my favorite stock scenario) but I think I've mostly seen 76mm guns. I can perhaps see this because the lethality of the 76mm is much greater and is generally more help to the soviet force but with the lack of squad based AT I would figure that there would be more 45mm guns add in scenarios since they are about the closest thing the soviets had.

Is it generally because of doctrine? I am unclear on how they were generally used, I know they had them in your bog standard rifle division, were there units broken up a bit and brought forward to aid infantry in their attack? Or were they generally concentrated, perhaps even with the other guns of the corps, in defensive positions and therefore not generally available in an attack? 

When I have used them I have been pleasantly surprised by their speed. They seem to modeled as light weapons and can move around on map about as well as a machine gun. 

They may not show up in scenarios much, but they are very very useful - even Panther's side armour is vulnerable to them... and they're cheap as chips !

I use them all the time if I'm Allied - they can spoil most AFV's day - and they keep Sdkfz's "honest".

Sure they die in droves too, but see the cheap comment :lol:

Edited by Baneman

It's probably an oversight by scenario designers not to include them more often.

The 45mm is a very handy weapon- hard to detect at long range, good with side and rear shots when being bypassed on  big maps. and even has a cannister round. And when you kill a Panther with one, you do feel very clever!

They're super useful, and i'm usually much happier to have them around than not. Yeah, they can't beat Tigers too reliably but they give Mk IVs and anything lighter a rough day and even Panthers can't just ignore them. 

I'm my usual conduct of using weapons in the most baffling manner possible I like to press light AT guns into assault gun work from time to time too.