UKR Campaign 3rd mission - Parks and Retaliation

wee

Howdy,

I'm somewhat stuck on the mission. Can't find any safe or manageable advance or assault routes for my twelve man strong "assault section". Where ever I go, I get pinned from fire of superior russian forces in defensive position.

Sounds "pretty challenging" to assault an enemy postition, an urban area, with prepared enemy of motorized (russian motorized is quite equvailent western mechanized, IMHO) platoon strenght in defensive position, only with tweleve man and without any direct or indirect fire support. Sounds like suicide mission and a waste of twelve good men.

From my point of view and traditionally, at least a company of equivalnt quality with indirect support should be assigned for such a mission. Twelve man section sounds more like a scouting team. After 27 minutes, I haven't seen any reinforcements yet.

Any advices or tips?

Edited by wee

Nope. Didn't lose any Oplots, all were operational when mission ended and so were at least two platoons of mech infantry with their BTR-4E, CO and BTN HQ BTR-4Es and FO BTR-4E. I lost some BTR-4Es in the previous mission, but not all by far. Total Ukranian victory was the result.

I only started the third mission with 1 x MANPAD soldier, 1xSAW soldier with RPK74, 2xMarksman with SVDs, two man AT team, three man LMG team and three man combat engineer team. Nothing else. Quite a challenge to repell motorized infantry platoon in prepeared and defensive position, without any support... 

Thanks for the info guys.

Haven't seen any of those vehicles.

Some of my platoons got pretty beaten in previous mission (maybe 3rd platoon was one those), but I still got nearly two platoons of BTR-4Es operational when the mission ended. Also, I don't remember to have any loss of Plt HQ:s in the same mission.

Seem to be that I only got reinforcements, but without BTR-4E and instead a single RPK-74 gunner... Quite bad trade-off. :huh:    

Nope. Didn't lose any Oplots, all were operational when mission ended and so were at least two platoons of mech infantry with their BTR-4E, CO and BTN HQ BTR-4Es and FO BTR-4E. I lost some BTR-4Es in the previous mission, but not all by far. Total Ukranian victory was the result.

I only started the third mission with 1 x MANPAD soldier, 1xSAW soldier with RPK74, 2xMarksman with SVDs, two man AT team, three man LMG team and three man combat engineer team. Nothing else. Quite a challenge to repell motorized infantry platoon in prepeared and defensive position, without any support... 

It sounds like the 3rd platoon pretty much got wiped out and you are mostly just seeing the attachments for the mission with some tiny remnants of 3rd platoon motor rifle squads.  And yes, that would probably make the mission impossible.  However, it should not make the last mission impossible, especially if 2nd Company is in good order.  You will lose 1st company reinforcements (they will be considered tied up at the roadblock), but it sounds like their combat power is already fairly depleted.

I'll talk to Chris and see if the mission can be tweaked so that the player is assured a force sufficient to work with in Mission 3 so you don't end up having to basically skip a mission.

It sounds like the 3rd platoon pretty much got wiped out and you are mostly just seeing the attachments for the mission with some tiny remnants of 3rd platoon motor rifle squads.  And yes, that would probably make the mission impossible.  However, it should not make the last mission impossible, especially if 2nd Company is in good order.  You will lose 1st company reinforcements (they will be considered tied up at the roadblock), but it sounds like their combat power is already fairly depleted.

I'll talk to Chris and see if the mission can be tweaked so that the player is assured a force sufficient to work with in Mission 3 so you don't end up having to basically skip a mission.

You got it right akd. And thank you for your personal help.

I checked the last save game and the 3rd platoon got badly beaten on the main road push while supporting the platoon Oplots. I lost five BTR-4Es on the mission, which includes all the vehicles from the 3rd platoon.

1st platoon was on the right flank where it took the high grounds and fiercly pushed farther to the contact inflicting heavy casualties to the enemy. 1st platoon suffered only minimal losses, few men, and it didn't loose any of it's BTR-4Es.

So, the script of the third mission is little weird and from my point of view too and too structured, if it forces tge player to use nearly wiped out and destroyed 3rd platoon for a task, and not some other platoon in better shape, like the 1st platoon instead...  :rolleyes: