Range of manual pop smoke on BMP-3M and BTR-82A?

BrutalBadger

When playing the Russian campaign, first mission vs the US i wanted to create a quick smoke screen for my infantry so i manually poped smoke with the BTR-82A, and to my surprise it started at about 100m forward when the indicator says 20m. So i tried it with the BMP-3M to and it did the same.

Is it correct that they should fire them 100m forward?

Seams wrong since all other vehicles  i currently used in the campaigns is about 20m as the indicator says.

The purple target line is generic for all units and has no bearing on the actual distance. There is a lot of variation between vehicles in how smoke screens are deployed. Some models of US Strykers deploy smoke in a 360° ring. You just have to experiment.

Doctrinally, it was intended that Russian APCs should use their smoke offensively to cover an advance rather than defensively so they throw it far forward.

Does the russian vehicles still have the possibilty to create smoke cloud by injecting diesel to exhaustion pipe? If I remember right, at least BMP-1 and -2 had the possibility, maybe T-55 and/or later model tanks too?

Been in such cloud once or twice...  B)  :D

The purple target line is generic for all units and has no bearing on the actual distance. There is a lot of variation between vehicles in how smoke screens are deployed. Some models of US Strykers deploy smoke in a 360° ring. You just have to experiment.

Doctrinally, it was intended that Russian APCs should use their smoke offensively to cover an advance rather than defensively so they throw it far forward.

Thank you!

Didnt really know that about Russian APCs

IIRC, they throw normal smoke. Also, last time I looked the launchers were a little gimped so they only throw one side at a time. But since it's only normal smoke its not worth much anyways.

Not the autocannon one. I used their forward smoke to do a river crossing on the "capture the town in an hour" scenario. "Brutal" I think it was.