Separatist Unit Names for CM:BS Scenarios

Cpl Steiner

Hi All,

I am currently working on a scenario which will see Separatists fighting Ukrainian regulars, with the separatists receiving Russian reinforcements and the Ukrainians receiving US reinforcements. The premise of the scenario is that the separatists commence attacks in coordination with the Russian push into Ukraine, in an area that is far from the primary axis of Russian advance. In other words, an area where predominantly Ukrainian and Separatist forces are engaged, with only token assistance from their respective allies.

I found this page in Wikipedia that gives unit names for many Separatist units, so I will pick one of these for the separatists in the scenario. I thought others might be interested by this list so here's the link.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Armed_Forces_of_Novorossiya

Currently I am still working on the map - a predominantly rural area with some light industry. It is not based on any actual geographic location within eastern Ukraine but is supposed to be representative of the areas where the Separatists are active. When I have finished the scenario I will upload it to the Repository.

Separatist units are smaller than their actual names I believe. It's hard to belive that Vostok brigade or Miners division are actually brigade- or division strenght. Most likely far less and the number of fighters coming and going makes the strenght very vague in most of the units.

Your idea is good I think, but instead of using actual or current unit names, I'd just simply call the pro russian separatists "pro russian separatists" and leave the imaginatin to the player.

Edited by wee

I am almost certain that the names do not reflect unit size and if I were making a scenario I would at most give a separatist unit 100-150 fighters for a particularly large "all in" operation.

I made a scenario with separatists in it and I used that list to get an idea of the naming conventions for Separatist forces. I then made up a unit with a similar name. In this case I called them the Lysenko Battalion. I personally didn't want to use a real unit name for a fictional battle, while at the same time I wanted the immersion of having a unique unit name for the force.

Lysenko is actually the last name of a Ukrainian Biologist who was born sometime in the 1890s and died sometime in the 60s if I recall correctly.