The Future

As a future addition to the game, showing all of the soldiers seems to be in the plans. Still, how to make it work? Perhaps having it as an option for "playing with ants" would be best. Showing everyone at full size could create overlapping problems. Have you guys considered it?

Also, when the game is shipped, what are you planning for the box? Of course, I am partial to Tigers, but there are tons of possibilities. Will the Battlefront.com flag be on the box, or just the BTS logo? At any rate, could you post the cover before you ship it? I'm really curious.

------------------

Climb to Glory!

Guest Big Time Software

Hi Chris,

The problems of a 1:1 man ratio are many, and you have only scratched the surface. Even if we had the horsepower to do this sort of thing in 2 years (we figure this will be about what it will take) there are huge game play problems. Like you say, jumbled mess at all but the realistic "ants" scale. Since this scale is simply unplayable more often than not, that isn't an option. So we will wait until the 3D power is availabe THEN figure out how best to use it.

As for the box... simple -> we have none wink.gif Boxes are evil. They are expensive and serve no purpose but to draw people's eye to them on the store shelf. Since we are not on store shelves, no need for the box smile.gif Plus it would increase the S&H price as materials and postage would have to be increased.

As a side note... the average box costs more than all of our artwork, maunal work, manual printing, the posters, and about a half dozen other smaller things combined. The REALLY expensive boxes are more than we have spent on Combat Mission one or two times over. Yup, they are insanely expensive. And that expense is passed on to who? The gamer. So remember that the next time you look at a box. You are paying dearly for the pretty cardboard.

Heh - I always wondered what kind of tab I would be paying for on either the new Mechwarrior 3 'Iridescent Metallic' printing or (worse yet - I actually bought this one - SUCKER!) the old Ultrabots box that did this transformer thing into a robot shape. The man hours put into designing and putting that stupid box together were probably comparable to the development time of the whole game (seriously - it wasnt a very good game, so development time couldn't have been that long...) I'm liking this 'cut out the middle man' marketing technique more and more.

Skip the box and the hype, just deliver a great game and good manual in a shrink wrapped / other "cost effective" packaging. I like it. Keep prices down for us the consumer. I like the sound of that too :)

Mike D

aka Mikester

Skip the box and the hype, just deliver a great game and good manual in a shrink wrapped / other "cost effective" packaging. I like it. Keep prices down for us the consumer. I like the sound of that too :)

Mike D

aka Mikester

DOHHHHH! THAT DOUBLE POSTING THING HAS HAPPENED AGAIN. OH WELL.

[This message has been edited by Mike D (edited 07-29-99).]

Guest John Maragoudakis

My version of Falcon 4.0 did not come in a box. The CD was in the manual. Thats all you need. This way you can still sell it in stores in the future. Just put a nice picture on the manual cover.

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>As for the box... simple -> we have none Boxes are evil. They are expensive and serve no

purpose but to draw people's eye to them on the store shelf. Since we are not on store shelves,

no need for the box Plus it would increase the S&H price as materials and postage would

have to be increased.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hehe,alright,Steve-so any ideas what's going to be on the cover of the manual? wink.gif

I'm happy you aren't using a box-waste of paper and space.

Mike

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Hehe,alright,Steve-so any ideas what's going to be on the cover of the manual?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My vote is for the panther they specially comissioned. I think a black and white cover with only the game title and thier company logos in color would look quite stunning.

------------------

Rhet