StuG-44 vs. MP-44

I have nearly always heard this weapon called Stug-44, StuGw-44 or SG-44. I see in CM and in the pictures of Steve at the gun range it is referred to as MP-44. Is this actually a diferent, presumably shorter, weapon distinct from the SG-44? Is this a 'popular' vs 'official' designation?

How good was this weapon? Since we have photographic evidence of at least one forum member shooting one, we have some first hand experience here.

Lastly, were the strange curved barrel variants ever actually used? What did a curved barrel do to muzzle velocity? What was one supposed to do if an enemy were directly in front of the firer? Seems quite a bizzare idea to me.

Lots of questions, but I think that this is the place to get the answers!

There was a big thread about this..

1. It shouldn't be called a StuG 44 as there is actually a variant of Stug sometimes called this. It's proper designation is either Stgw 44 or MP44.

2. The name change is, as far as I am concerned, due to the fact that they were trying to artificially boost maschinenpistole production figures and camouflage the production of an assault rifle Hitler had officially forbidden.

When they were discovered the name was changed to reflect what the weapon really was. Simple really.

3. What you are referring to as curved barrel etc was the Krummlauf which came in 45 and 90 degree versions and was to be utilised in tanks (although some were made for shooting around corners for cityfighting).

It was effective for what it was produced for.

Do a search on Krummlauf, I'm not going to post the whole article I wrote again about the MP44 and Krummlauf since it'd take me longer to find than you to search for wink.gif

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

Guest Big Time Software

Go to the Resources section (link at top of page) and check out the BTS research trip. I also have a non firing version hanging on my wall. It is made from real parts less the receiver. The mag is stamped "MP44", as were about a dozen I looked over one time. Cripes, $75 per mag... expensive!!!

Steve

Hitler was a statistic's junkie by all accounts. The Stgw 44 used the kurz or short 7.92mm which maxed out at around 300m. Hitler prefered the ablilty of the old 7.92mm rounds reach of 1000m along with the associated supply headaches of supplying the another separate cartridge to infantry sections ie the 9mm and the 7.92mm. These were the basic reasons that Hitler 'outlawed' the Stgw production and its development.

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 12-17-99).]

[This message has been edited by Bastables (edited 12-17-99).]