Artillery...

I believe you just have the artillery spotter target the area he has los to just like having a tank target another tank. Although in reading through the help file / instructions there do seem to also be some options in the artillery case for wide area fire, vs. regular, etc.

Mike D

aka Mikester

I have noticed some of the following regarding artillery:

1) Right click on your artillery spotter and select TARGET or WIDE TARGET. I have enjoyed both.

2) I also like to get my artillery to run, behind a tank isn't all that bad and then halt and target.

3)Mike D, you mentioned LOS being required. I wish I knew, so much is going on that I often use the artillery spotter / mortar spotter to target areas not within LOS. My guess is that his results in nothing being fired.

****-- Per Charles below, "Forward Observers can call in artillery without LOS, but it will be considerably less accurate. " ---***

4) Personally I like to target machine gunners with my artillery, especially when in buildings.

Hope this helps,

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

[This message has been edited by kingtiger (edited 10-29-99).]

"Forward Observer" or - short - FO means a special observer team (usually two men) that are spotting for juicy targets for the big artillery guns somwhere behind the front (and off-map). You recognize them by a pair of binos that they're holding in their hands instead of a rifle. Keep'em warm and cozy and way back from enemy fire... they're worth their cost points in gold smile.gif

"Keep'em warm and cozy and way back from enemy fire... they're worth their cost points in gold."

Just curious but has anybody else seen enemy FOs wandering near your own lines. Playing the Americans in last defense a FO crossed the forward wall while I still had troops there in the middle of a firefight. Later on I had one enter a building well ahead of the rest of the squads. In fact I had a squad basically run past it and head upstairs in the same building.

My apologies if this turned into a bug report. If I haven't mentioned it yet. BTS this was the Bestest Birthday present ever. Sniff Sniff smile.gif.

Actually I have been stormed by a forward observer. It was rather cute actually, the poor fellow stormed in to the building sat down and gave my men a big look with his binoculars and took a bullet. However, it was near the end of the game and the computer was just looking for points. He couldn't know I was inside. I like to keep men near the back walls in objective buildings.

If my situation was as desperate as his I may have ordered and FO to get that ?(question-ed) objective.

Remember in war, you see all sorts of weird things.

Sincerely,

Richard Kalajian

I have a question regarding the mortar teams. Are they really expected to do their own spotting? I was under the impression that the medium/heavy weight(81+ mm) stuff was kept at least several hundred meters behind the line. At least, that is the impression I got from my grandfather, who commanded a mortar platoon/company through the Great Patriotic War. Difference in doctrine?