Guest Big Time Software

VERY soon. Would have been sooner, but MS APIs cost us another day. Seems that if you use a custom cursor (of at least a certain size) it doesn't work very well, even though it is supposed to. (sigh) what else is new...

Good news is technically we are ready. Just need to do a few more things before release.

Steve

Re: the demo

I'm ITCHING! -well I upgraded my celeron 400 to a Pentium 3 500 , overclocked to 575 mhtz - this should make short work of CM, Its about 60% faster than celeron 400 (I've tweaked the cache timing among other things - and its running on the brink! smile.gif ) ---------------> just need the demo now, I hope I get 40 fps at least

Hey Martin (moon) you have a P3 550 right?, what Fps do you get with you Banshee card? My TNT2 (o/c to 160 mhtz) should be a bit quicker wink.gif

At least I'm near the pointy end of Pc now smile.gif

CCJ

What a poseur! smile.gif Bloody technobabble blah blah overclocking jargon jargon....general sounds of envy from individual still trying to work out what strategy to use to get my employer to upgrade work computer to enable play of CM (home computer dead/no money)...mutter mutter curse mumble...

Mmmmm "near the pointy end" he he now if you just move a bit to the left....

[This message has been edited by SimonFox (edited 10-18-99).]

Guest Big Time Software

Simon, you guys have a lot to learn from us Americans. If you can't afford it, charge it on a credit card and pay it off after you file for bankrupcy protection smile.gif Or the other way, which is my way... land a wife with a kick ass job who can buy one for you! Not as easy as convincing your employer to upgrade, but it can be done. My new G4 is coming soon to replace my 3 year old system that is litterally falling apart on me (no sound for 3 weeks now frown.gif)

Steve

Hey steve i like the sound of the american dream,by notching things up on credit, sounds so easy,then going bust.Man problem here in NZ is the wives wont let the men do that ****

sob sob

Oh well i did manage to slip x2 copies of CM on visa,i feel its worth risking a divorce case for.

Titan

:)

hehe

Well I've managed to get my Pentium 3 500 - running at 600 mhtz today! Rock solid stable - I must have a lucky batch of chips! wink.gif Temperature probe from Abit BE6 motherboard read no higher than 40 deg on the heatsink! I'm at the pointy end now! and saved myself some $1000Aust!!! I compared benchmarks to some geniune P3 600 - any my machine is actually slightly faster! LOl smile.gif

I can now crank all the options on in CM without hesistation - but yeah a G4 and Athlon are much better

CCj

'

Guest Big Time Software

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>I STILL see no demo yet. Are you guys asleep ?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I did go to sleep last night, but not the night before. That's right, I pretty much sleep every other night these days.

The demo is coming soon!

Charles

ps. CoolColJ - I have no doubt that the framerate you get on your souped-up nitro-burning funny car tricked-out Pentium is going to be insane. smile.gif But I want to say that, odly enough, CM doesn't really require a massive framerate. Not that it hurts, of course. The smoother the better, but since CM isn't "fast action" it only requires a modest frame rate to be totally cool and easy to play and look great. That's one reason we've been able to make such nice vehicle models (with all the "expensive" 3D polygons they contain). We can afford to "spend" a little more on visual quality and not worry too much about having a maximal frame rate.

1. What are the requirements for the Demo?

2. Have the system requirements changed?

I want to pre-order CM but, want to see a demo first.

Demo = $$

CoolColJ - yep, I have a P3 500, but you know what: it completely broke down saturday. The CPU burned! Gosh. Well, it's fixed now and I also upgraded to a 550 (heh...company pays).

Anyways, I have no problems whatsoever with framerates. Most games buzz at 40-60 fps, and even huge maps with lots of action rarely go below 10. The difference, visually, between, say 15 and 60 is not that big, though (as Charles mentioned). Once the action is running smooth, it can't get much smoother smile.gif

It really is a case of 11 fps being the same as 35 fps ( once you get over 10 fps basically your eye sees smooth motion)...

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers

I'm also waiting on the demo, I only have

a 200mhz pro and 4vram 3d so, I'm also

waiting to play the demo to see how it

runs on this computer.

Btw, I have not been able to buy another

game since I found out about CM, talk

about high expectations smile.gif.

Keep the good work take your time

and give us a white xmas smile.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>once you get over 10 fps basically your eye sees smooth motion<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? Gee, I can save a lot of rendering time then! All this time I render at 30 FPS. If all I need are 10 FPS, well then I can cut my rendering time by 2/3rds! Thanks Fionn.

smile.gif

P.S. Just yanking your chain. I had to jump on that statement. While Fionn's statement may be true for a game, for actual smooth motion your eye needs 30FPS for video and 24 FPS for film.

[This message has been edited by Bil Hardenberger (edited 10-19-99).]

I know I won't get a reply to this but I had to try. What is the likelyhood of us seeing the demo within 24 hrs of my post? Soon is encouraging but I'd like a little more definate than soon. Again I don't expect a reply form the powers on high but it had to be asked.

Guest Big Time Software

Can't give you an exact date, but it won't be in a day or two. However, I will make a semi-cryptic post (with link) on this BBS to tip you guys off before anybody else. We feel strongly that you guys should get a shot at the download before the unwashed masses do smile.gif You'll all know the post when you see it smile.gif

Steve

ha!

When the demo gets released - the bandwidth here will be awful! wink.gif People reading chats, 50 odd people trying to download at once! wink.gif ----> I'll try and sneak in at odd hours

30 fps is the bare minimum for me, I want total immersion, smoothness will help wink.gif

But I want big cpu power mainly for the crunching part of the game - The less wait between turns the better wink.gif I remember playing UMS 2 on my AMiga 500 - ten years ago, must have waited 10 mins each turn! But it was a cool game - allowing you to create srategic battles/campaigns in any era of history. I think its time for UMS 3 - cpu power has caught up now smile.gif

CCJ

Bil,

Of course you are right re: the 24 fps for film etc but I was just referring to the game. Once the fps hits 10 for a game your eye sees continuous motion and not jerky motion. Sure the quakeplayers etc tweak stuff to get 40 or more fps but it's not really, really necessary. Certainly not for CM.

------------------

Fionn Kelly

Manager of Historical Research,

The Gamers Net - Gaming for Gamers