Tankcommander in danger?

Have you ever thought about the fact that CM tankcommanders are in real danger to be sniped by the enemy when they are showing their navel, while looking out of the turret? ;)

Otherwise great info here, I´m really looking forward to the demo release.

desertfox

Guest Big Time Software

Hehe... yeah, we know we have to lower them into the turret a bit more. However, we won't lower them down to just their heads popping out, as they would do in combat. We have them more or less set for Parade Ground, or rear area, position. The main purpose for showing the TC in the hatch is so that you can tell the tank is unbuttoned. Jamming him down so just the top of his head pokes out defeats that purpose.

Steve

Guest Scarhead

HEy, I personally know a TC whose tank (rumors have it that it was a Tiger, but you don't ask somebody from _that_ division about the war here) was shot under him. Explosion had him popped out of the tank like a cork out of a bottle of champagne. If he was sitting in the tank, his legs would have been cut away and he would have died from loss of blood. This way, several broken bones were fixed so he could fight again and even escape from Berlin after the last days.

So maybe the TC should stand in the hatch ;)

Scarhead

Nice Story Scarhead ;)

I´ve read something similar about a well known WW2 Commander. I was just remembering the voice of our drillseargent not to get shot our a** off when I saw the pictures. I prefered to stay in the turret too, but never showed more than my black beret <G>

Desertfox

Guest Big Time Software

Thomm, again, we want the guy to be visible so you can see him. The graphical position has nothing to do with the game mechanics. BTW, drivers of nearly all tanks have to duck when the barrel came around when the turret rotated. In the Shermans if the gun was over a hatch it couldn't even be opened/closed. This was a huge problem if the tank was hit. German hatches generally moved up and swung so that the turret position didn't matter. Later Allied tanks had split hatches which reduced the amount of room they needed to open.

Steve