Buy and Download option?

Will it be possible to download the game directly after purchasing the game? I don't want to pay for any shipping and handling. The most reasonable option would be to offer direct download (including PDF manual for later printout).

I think this is a reaonable request for us overseas customers.

Marcus

I don't believe this could be possible, of course BS can correct me if I'm wrong. I believe CM will be maybe around 200 - 300MB maybe less maybe more. If you don't have cable than it will take forever. Now imagine if more people with speed like 33K or 56k modems will try to download it, it will be a mess. You also need a good server to handle a lot of ftp connections, meaning more resources from BS. You also have to think about security. Somebody buys CM then gets login/password from BS to access a site...somebody downloads it and gives this login/password to somebody else...

I don't think it's gonna happen, too much hassle.

risc

I'll give you an idea of why that can't work for BTS. I do some work for another wargame company that I WON'T mention on here (to be polite) who is doing the direct download option. However our demo is 6M and then explodes unto your hardrive after registration. We can do this because our game is a traditional, hex based, wargame and doesn't require the amount of space that a game like CM does.

As far as security that is not a big deal. In our case you can download the dmeo at any point but you can't play the whole game until you register. This is very similiar to what ID did with DOOM.

------------------

Richard Arnesen

The Wargamer

http://www.wargamer.com

And look how that turned out: NO illegal copie of Doom anywhere (cough) smile.gif

Anyway, no matter how hard you try to prevent copies, they'll be all over the place in no time. Don't wanna make people (developers) depressed but there's NO, and i repeat, NO game or app which isn't availible for free on the net.

Working with serial-codes or "explosive-files" smile.gifdoes NOT work. The only thing that works is a "honest-customer". If he/she is honest, they'll appreciate the work/money/time/efforts which were put into the final product, and show this by making no cracks/copies.

Just my 2 88's smile.gif

PanzerShark

To some extent.

But our registration method is tied into your HD serial number. EVERY time you fire up the game it looks to see if the HD is the same.

YES there are very difficult ways to spoof this but these are way beyond even most hackers abilities.

We also have methods in place to allow you to register more than one computer or HD if you upgrade or such...

------------------

Richard Arnesen

The Wargamer

Richard,

Silicon Graphics has 3D software called Alias which used to cost 30,000 US and it used to have copy protection tied to CPU serial number never mind the HD and that's not the full story either. And guess what it was cracked and I have seen it on the net. The cracks used be sold for like 7000 US...I don't want to get into more details. Remeber, ANY security system developed by humans can be broken by humans smile.gif

Peter

250-300mb is nothing nowadays with T1 lines available at every office (and with the broadband revolution in every home soon). Just look at Ultima Ascension (the demo) it's 250mb and still people download it.

I rather spend a couple of cents downloading it than 25-30$ on some lazy postal/toll guy.

If Battlefront are serious with customer service then this should be an option if they refuse to sell it in shops overseas.

Marcus

Just a comment to risc:If someone wants to commit crimes then there are allways options. I don't think this should stop the serious/honest users. Just about every developer utility vendor has this option and they have never complained about security leaks. Either Delphi developers are more honest or just lucky <g>.

Marcus

Guest L Tankersley

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>and with the broadband revolution in every home soon<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Ha.

::insert bitter laugh here::

Don't get me started - Bell Atlantic would probably end up suing me.

Guest Big Time Software

Sorry, download is out of the question. Far too large to be practical. Most people think that Broadban is a kind of law that prevents women from being in a certain place (sorry, TERRIBLE joke, but I couldn't resist smile.gif). I myself can't get cable TV to my house, not to mention cable modem. And I am in the US where this sort of thing is far more common than on other countries. And we would still have to charge you something for a 300MB download even if we did offer this. SOMEONE has to pay for that bandwidth smile.gif

Steve

Another option that I sugggested to Fionn earlier.

Could Big Time consider getting an affilliate in Europe? IE someone that prints and packages Combat Mission in Europe and sells it mailorder from there. I would of course prefer Sweden but UK is fine with me as well. This would give Battlefront a new front so to speak <g>. It would certainly increase sales in Europe (France, UK and Germany alone has a considerable number of prospects for CM).

Marcus

Richard just FYI I design online games and the HD serial number isnt always there and ofetn isnt unique (we used it as a banning techinique). You will find large amounts of people have the same HD number (manufacturers doing batches) so make sure you allow for dupicate serials for users, also for some reason we have had several overseas customers with NO HD serial number at all. I have no idea why.

Hope that helps.

Actually we are using a vendor for this which comes with a pretty good track record so I am not worried.

Plus they are in trouble if it doesn't work smile.gif.

As far as downloads, Steve is right, most places do not have high speed internet and to be honest the costs (server wise) would be too high, not too mention that keeping that many high volume downloads going simultanously is almost impossible.

(I am a Unix Admin by trade, the last part I definetle know wink.gif).

------------------

Richard Arnesen

The Wargamer