Upgrading to 3.0 during PBEM battle

Myself and an opponent have just recently upgraded both CMBN and CMFI to 3.0 in the middle of PBEM battles on both formats. When I now go to load the latest turn it gets to about 90% complete and then crashes! I assume we have done something wrong. Is anyone please able to advise what is the correct process for upgrading between PBEM turns?

Is there anyway of resurrecting the battles from our last turns as each is well over the halfway mark and we'd both be extremely gutted to have lost them!

You can install a separate copy of the game - and don't upgrade it. Once you have both copies installed you can take one of your PBEM turn files and open it in the unupgraded game. Once you have watched the turn save it during the orders phase and switch to the upgraded game and open the saved game and keep on going.

With each of CMFI and CMRT multiple versions will share a series of directories under my documents folder which means that they both are looking at the same files. The new game will see the turns played with the old game but the old version will only see its turn files. It can be confusing but since you are only doing this to update a game it will likely not be an issue. CMBN installs to not share a directory structure from turns so you will have to manually copy the saved turn from the old game's directory to the new install's directory.

Don't freak out if there is a loud airplane sound for the first minute - it happens occasionally and will go away.

You don't even have to install a separate copy. The backup copy that you make before attempting any upgrade will do just fine. You did make a copy before you did that upgrade, didn't you? :)

Haha, thanks Womble, yes, I'd have had to have been a complete fool not to have backed up prior to upgrading! Unfortunately, I AM a complete fool and didn't back up :(

So Ian's suggestion it is. Thanks, guys. I'll load up another copy and go from there.