Highest compliments on a superb design

tankski

You think players would go the burdensome route to get the info at all costs? Yes, that really could be. If I think about it and imagine playing H2H and a very precious unit which decides about victory or loss would be at risk, I probably would go that route, too. And then it probably would be very annoying. Chapeau!

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This, though, I've not seen. Were they green and low motivation? With poor individual TC leaderships to boot? Had their larger formation already taken many casualties?

Here was the sit. I was playing a completely randomized Quick. I had a seven Sherman US Army platoon. The platoon commander was a -2. As I recall, the platoon tanks were generally good but not outstanding. What happened was this, everybody performed well until I was concentrically approaching a possibly well-defended village. It was night, and I had the tanks fairly close together to keep them in command. A German mg opened fire from the front and raked all the Shermans. The CO spooked and rolled about 100 meters to the rear! Four of the Sherms refused orders, I think they had all gone to Cautious. They just froze. Didn't move, didn't shoot. None were damaged. I couldn't do anything with them. I took the two hardier Sherms and set about hunting the German infantry. I kept pausing and coming back to the four poltroons, but they refused to do anything. After about ten minutes they gingerly moved but only reluctantly. Maybe it had something to do with night and the CO bolting?

I had this happen with a T-34 Mod 1942 today. It would not move from behind a house where I had put it. Stayed there and refused to come out and play despite my repeatedly giving it orders.

Here was the sit. I was playing a completely randomized Quick. I had a seven Sherman US Army platoon. The platoon commander was a -2. As I recall, the platoon tanks were generally good but not outstanding. What happened was this, everybody performed well until I was concentrically approaching a possibly well-defended village. It was night, and I had the tanks fairly close together to keep them in command. A German mg opened fire from the front and raked all the Shermans. The CO spooked and rolled about 100 meters to the rear! Four of the Sherms refused orders, I think they had all gone to Cautious. They just froze. Didn't move, didn't shoot. None were damaged. I couldn't do anything with them. I took the two hardier Sherms and set about hunting the German infantry. I kept pausing and coming back to the four poltroons, but they refused to do anything. After about ten minutes they gingerly moved but only reluctantly.

I had this happen with a T-34 Mod 1942 today. It would not move from behind a house where I had put it. Stayed there and refused to come out and play despite my repeatedly giving it orders.

That doesn't sound like any situation I've encountered. Units don't go "deaf" until they're "Shaken" or worse, and even those don't usually take 10 minutes to come back under control. Is this in engine v3? Anyone else seen anything like this?

Agree, I've not seen this - the only units that wont obey orders are the ones you can't give orders to - ie. icon paled out, Panic or Rout status.

However, you say "pausing and coming back" - so this was Real Time ? I have no experience with Real Time, it's possible that there's a bug specific to real time.

Alternatively, I have seen units just cancel their own movement orders if they can't get through a gap - typically a narrow street.

Were the balking Shermans / T34 trying to go between 2 houses ? Diagonal streets are usually "too narrow" although there's no indication that vehicles can't go through.

That doesn't sound like any situation I've encountered. Units don't go "deaf" until they're "Shaken" or worse, and even those don't usually take 10 minutes to come back under control. Is this in engine v3? Anyone else seen anything like this?

3.0 and Iron. They might have been Shaken initially, can't remember. They definitely refused any orders, as did that T-34. Maybe I have a bug?

Agree, I've not seen this - the only units that wont obey orders are the ones you can't give orders to - ie. icon paled out, Panic or Rout status.

However, you say "pausing and coming back" - so this was Real Time ? I have no experience with Real Time, it's possible that there's a bug specific to real time.

Alternatively, I have seen units just cancel their own movement orders if they can't get through a gap - typically a narrow street.

Were the balking Shermans / T34 trying to go between 2 houses ? Diagonal streets are usually "too narrow" although there's no indication that vehicles can't go through.

Yep, this was Real Time with pauses.

Nope, these guys were in the open, and I was trying to get them to advance to an open space. The T-34 was behind a house but it had wide open space beyond the house. There was nothing for it shoot at and it was drawing no fire but some T-34s had been clobbered nearby. I am sure it was out of command. Don't think it was Shaken. It refused to move for at least ten minutes until the game ended. Again, maybe I have a glitch but it is interesting these refusals occurred in tense situations. I just accepted these refusals as reflecting units going "gun shy." The Sherms did recover and after some initial reluctance they joined the platoon and helped knock about some German infantry.