russian infantry

emccabe

Try to keep them at arms length using heavy weapons, mgs, mortars, kitchen sinks, anything you can find. They are fairly fragile, but deadly if you let them get too close. They are most effective when in communication with superior command elements, and that tends to bunch them up, which can be really good if you can hit them exposed or really bad if you miss.

Pin them at longer ranges with MGs then kill them with direct lay 81mm? Enfilade them with armoured fire? It rather depends on your available tools and situation. But the point is to achieve a mismatch; that's what tactics are for. If you let the enemy operate in their strong areas, you lose.

well I forgot the name of the battle but I had to defend a village from soviet armor with no armor of my own and on the right side soviet infantry started to show up i moved an mg to hold them back and platoon of engineers some engineers it held them off

but the real problem was when the came out of the woods right next to the village my my infantry were dropping like flies but i held them back with a mortar

well I forgot the name of the battle but I had to defend a village from soviet armor with no armor of my own and on the right side soviet infantry started to show up i moved an mg to hold them back and platoon of engineers some engineers it held them off

but the real problem was when the came out of the woods right next to the village my my infantry were dropping like flies but i held them back with a mortar

It sounds like you're describing "Red Hordes". That village on the German right flank is practically guaranteed to be overrun by the Soviets. The defenders are weak in quality and quantity compared to the titular Soviet forces you are facing.

The other comments have identified what you need to do in terms of general tactics - keep them at long ranges, drop explosives on them. I would add suppressive "target light" commands to make sure your LMGs keep them suppressed and hopefully panicking.

They are fairly fragile

Yes. And it is surprising to me. Yes, I know about absence of leader assistant in soviet squad.

But... Soviet style attack with several platoons running with "fast" order at the germans works better playing americans in "battle for Normandy" then playing soiviets. ) American inf much more resilient then soviet in the game.