Battlefront is now Slitherine ×

Lt Neumeyer (GD) at Krottingen, 23rd of October 1944

I'm currently working on a remake of the HSG scenario on the action of Leutnant Neumeyer of the Grossdeutschland division in Lithuania, on the 23rd of October 1944. Neumeyer supported an attack South or East of the city of Krottingen with three Panthers. The main force existed of elements of recon units of the GD. Neumeyer won his KC on this day. I do have permission of the original designer for this remake.

It is very hard to find information about this small scaled battle. Can anyone perhaps tell me more about it, or tell me where more information can be found?

I also would like to ask how such a force would probably have been put together. We know for sure 3 Panthers were attached to this Kampfgruppe, but that's about it.

I've trawled through my books on GD and no mention of this action - only mention refers to Krottingen I can find is in "Battleground Prussia" pages 60-70 and refers to Battlegroup "von Breese" fighting a rearguard action just north of there in early October. Are you sure the date of his award is the date of the actual action or the date he received it?

I've trawled through my books on GD and no mention of this action - only mention refers to Krottingen I can find is in "Battleground Prussia" pages 60-70 and refers to Battlegroup "von Breese" fighting a rearguard action just north of there in early October. Are you sure the date of his award is the date of the actual action or the date he received it?

Good question, George. And yes, according to the site below it is the date of award, so the action itself must have been earlier.

The action is mentioned in Jung's history of Panzerregiment GD, page 242. The text is pretty much the same as on this site: http://members.shaw.ca/grossdeutschland/panthers.htm

I've checked the pages in 'Battleground Prussia', but that doesn't help. I think it will be next to impossible to get more details and as with so much actions it will only be possible to make an educated guess with regard to what really happened.

I've not found anymore than what you've already found Aragorn. I've run through the Living History GD 250/1 book but again nothing specific. Alos checked Spaeter's history of GD vol 2 and Scheibert's PzgDiv Grossdeutschland. To no avail. Sounds like you could make this scenario be what you want it to be.

I've not found anymore than what you've already found Aragorn. I've run through the Living History GD 250/1 book but again nothing specific. Alos checked Spaeter's history of GD vol 2 and Scheibert's PzgDiv Grossdeutschland. To no avail. Sounds like you could make this scenario be what you want it to be.

Thank you, George, I appreciate your willingness to help. I will stick to the OOB as in the original scenario. Pity so little is left of that part of history, but so be it.