BLIMEY and MORD questions

Question for Mord or anyone who knows. Why are some of his mod files labeled "zyrian..." Is one supposed to change the name to "syrian", or is "zyrian" an actual default file name?

BLIMEY: Some of your inf mods are named "pyrian..." or "ryrian...". Again, is that intended and required, or have the names in my files become corrupted somehow? (If so should I simply rename everything to "syrian..."?)

Uh oh...

I think I may have changed some names cos I thought they were wrong. Had no idea that "cyrian", "ryrian", "pyrian", "zyrian" etc. could be legit names. I thought maybe they are "alternative" mods that would need renaming to show up in-game.

Any explanation re what the naming system is and why? (What happens if I rename em to "Syrian" like most of the others?)

Am adding my inf mods back, one at a time slowly and so far all is well... :)

Any explanation re what the naming system is and why? (What happens if I rename em to "Syrian" like most of the others?)

You'll 8*%$ up the mod. :)

Not all uniform mods have this problem. It's mainly to do with model swapping/avoiding clashes with stock bmps. Each 3D model has various texture bmps allocated to it. Example bmps for uniform, face etc. The 3D model looks for these specific bmps when it's loaded. These allocations are hardwired into the 3D model and can only be changed via hex editing.

Example - I decide I want to make a mod which -

1) replaces the normal syrian infantry with the syrian special forces 3D model.

2) And, once this is done, allocate a new uniform to my new infantry to replace the original syrian special forces black uniform which that model has allocated to it.

3) However, I want the original Special forces [which still exist] to keep their black uniforms

Swapping the model is easy. Basically, it's a matter of copying and renaming one model to the same name as the other.

However, the special forces 3D model even when renamed as basic infantry will still look for the old black uniforms unless I hex edit the 3D file to tell it not to. Basically, I tell it to look for new bmps with a new name, for example pyrian, ryrian etc. If I didn't do this I wouldn't be able to achieve point 2 and 3 above.

So, the oddly named files should not be renamed or the mod they're allocated to will not work as intended. They'll unlikely to show up at all (hence the black spots) as the mod is looking for a specific bmp name.

Syrian mods

The Irregulars mod (3) should be used as a stand alone. It may clash with 1 & 2 if all used together.

Mord's Mixed Combatants

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=1505

Mixes hooded and non hooded Syrian Combatants into a squad to give more of a hodge podge feel to their ranks.

Mord's Civil War mod

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2283

Turns Syrian Reservists and Militia, Infantry, Tank crews and AFV crews into street clothes wearing fighters. Combine this with my Mixed Combatants mod and you have a nice recipe for civil war type scenarios (Vs Syrian Mech, Guards, Airborne or SF) or insurgent fighters who have gotten their hands on some better weaponry.

Irregulars (Muji Mod)

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2305

This replaces Syrian insurgents/irregular forces with Afghans and some of Mord's mixed combatants.Credit to Mord, Bill Lockton and Smaragdadler for use of some of their mods.

Syrian Infantry 2013

http://www.battlefront.com/index.php?option=com_remository&Itemid=314&func=fileinfo&id=2975

This download contains a rar file of amended Syrian 3D infantry models, uniforms, helmets & faces to better resemble those used by the Syrian regime in 2013 (i.e. now use the m97 helmet). It completely replaces the basic Syrian infantry/Republican Guard in CMSF.

It uses mods by other authors as well as myself. All credit to Birdstrike, Mord, M1A1TC, Aris and any other authors I may have missed. It is intended for use with SCW scenarios.

WARNING: This mod alters the appearance of the reserve/regular Syrian infantry by replacing them with the 3D model for special forces. It should not be used with other Syrian infantry mods. Special forces mods are unaffected.

The mods that I currently have are working fine. However, before I read the above I did rename some files that just looked "wrong" - and I now learn I should not have done that. So the effects are uncertain since many of the mods are quite similar.

My game plays fine. Not sure if I am seeing the mods that I should be seeing. Not a big deal...

Thanks for the links I will redownload and compare with what I have.

Thanks to all for your suggestions. I will be fine now. :)

For my own education I have some questions though...

I have two folders each called something like MORDS COMBATANTS.

One folder has 8 bmp's of UNCOM's plus a bunch of mds files eg: "syriafighter 1-lod-3 1.mds" thru "syriafighter 4-lod 5 4.mds" and 4 simpler files called "syriafighter 1.mds" thru "syriafighter 4.mds".

What are mds files and what is the significance of all those numbers etc?

I also have a 2nd folder that simply has 10 "syriacombatant x.bmp files numbered 1-10 and NO other files like .mds. (8 files look the same as in the larger folder, but two are different.)

I was thinking of copying over the extra two syriacombatant files to the larger folder, but what does that do?

Or, can I simply just use the folder that only has the 10 bmp files... and why?

ALSO... I have another folder called Mord's Mixed UNCOM Combatants v1 which includes 8 "Cyrian-spy-uniform" bmps along with a bunch of the "lod mds files etc. and a subfolder called Mord's Combatants along with more lod mds files.

And how to ensure files named "pyrian" or "ryrian" are used if I want?

Am completely confused why this is all so complicated. Can anyone explain if I have a bunch of duplicates or if I need em all, and how to use em when several seem duplicates?