forgive me if this question has been asked previously and addressed but..how many scenarios will ship with the game? is the game one campaign that starts after d-day any carries to the end of the war? do you expect that this game will attract scenario designers to build their own scenarios to be offered for download on the internet? i'm so excited about this game i just don't want to run out of scenarios to play. correct me if i'm wrong but it seems replay value of a scenario would not be that good since you will know where everything is and when it might appear. am i misunderstanding this?

Guest Big Time Software

We have no clue how many scenarios or campaigns will be included. Whatever the count is, they are going to be broken up into 3 or 4 groups:

Historical Scenarios

Fictional Scenarios

Historical Campaigns

Fictional Campaigns (possible)

Combat Mission's editor kicks ass. It is very powerful and very easy to use. You can make a historical scenario in about 3 hours, from start to finish, once you have made a couple. Therefore we expect to see hundreds of scenarios in a very short space of time. Campaigns too, as these can be made by anybody as well. We will make sure their is a home for all of these too.

Because of the eidtor you will NEVER run out of scenarios. And the replay value is as high, if not higher, than any other wargame out there. No extra worries there. I personally have replayed the same scenario 2 times because I botched the first attack. I will likely want to play the scenario a third time because during the second try I had REALLY bad luck (2x500lb bombs hit my march column and took out 6 out of 10 of my tanks frown.gif).

Since Combat Mission's AI is *NOT* scripted, it will likely never do the same thing twice either. We also have variable settings for reinfrocements, so something MIGHT come in on turn 4 in one game, or it might come on turn 15 in another (these variables are set by the designer). No computer wargame we know of has this combination of features so far as we know.

Steve

If Steve answers that one, everybody will go: "ah, yeah, he's trying to sell the game". So I thought I would give it a try - as somebody who had the rare opportunity to actually see the game in action (when writing for the Wargamer) and not associated with Big Time Software, I can assure you:

it IS as good as it sounds! And better!

Watching CM in action for the very first time gave me the feeling of actually being down there on the battlefield (Captain Moon, if you want wink.gif) - and I have played many wargames. It's not a perfect example, but imagine West Front - AND THEN the whole battlefield comes alive!

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>We also have variable settings for reinfrocements, so something MIGHT come in on turn 4 in one game, or it might come on turn 15 in another (these variables are set by the designer). <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If at all possible, please do.

One of the best ways to add replayability is to add uncertainties to the OOB. You can't count on the "race to the village by turn 12" trick if the enemy unit could just as easily be there on turn 8 - or show up along a different road, or not at all.

Also, few commanders ever had the luxury of knowing the exact composition of units in an area, or when they would arrive, or via what route. Often they had trouble enough knowing where their own units are. smile.gif

IMO this would be a huge boon from both a gaming and a simulation point-of-view.

Guest Big Time Software

Uh, if being in the game and working like a charm is good for you, then you will be a happy camper smile.gif I played a game with some really low quality reserves for Turn 10, 80% chance of showing up. Around Turn 14 or so I finally got them. Big deal, they sucked wink.gif But since I designed the scenario there was nobody to curse at!

In the same game I gave the US a couple of fighterbombers. One was assured to come around on Turn 1, another has about a 70% chacne after turn 5 or so. As it turned out the first airstrike didn't happen for 3 turns as the plane couldn't aquire a good target and had to come around for another pass. This gave the Germans time to set up their Flak guns smile.gif

So lots and lots of flexibility here.

Steve

Guest Big Time Software

The scenario designer can decide to make reinforcements come in 100% of the time on Turn X if desired. There are five reinforcement slots, each one appearing at its own designated spot on the map with its own variable turn element.

All units will appear at some point, but if the percentage chance is cranked WAY down there is a good chance that it won't, or will come in when it is too late. Otherwise, there is no ability to stop a reinforcement from coming in 100% except to not put it in as a reinforcement in the first place. We felt that simulating mechanical breakdowns and strafing was too arbitrary and potentially unbalancing so we don't support it.

Steve